Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting taper on tablesaw

Cutting taper on tablesaw

I have a "Howto" question about cutting a taper on a tablesaw, & I need to accurately reproduce this part.

The challenge is cutting the identical taper on both sides of a board. For example, take a square board and label Right side West, Left side East, top side North, Bottom side South. Keeping the south side down, I need to cut the identical taper on the West and East sides of the board.
    Like this -

.../..\
    ../....\
    ./......\

The tough part is that if you use a traditional taper jig sled, this is not really possible. Even reinserting the the scrap piece on one side, flipping and recutting won't work because of the saw kerf - you'll just cut a trapezoidal shape.

For a real world example, the final shape will be roughly 1.5" on the leading edge, 3" on the trailing edge and the board will be 2" thick and 28" long.

The best work around I've come up with is to cut 2 boards with the same taper using a sled type taper jig and glue them down the center.

.../.|.\
    ../..|..\
    ./...|...\
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Epilog Helix 45W
    Horn Lake, MS

Doug,

What about making a jig that doesn't use the fence but rides in the miter slot and references the centers of the board. Kind of like a lathe tailstock does. If you wanted to make it for more than one use you could make the tailstocks adjustable so you can make different tapers.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Cliff, that's an extremely interesting idea. Dowels for location on the jig and drill dowel holes on the centerline of the board. Rip, flip, repeat. That very well might work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Epilog Helix 45W
    Horn Lake, MS

Doug,

Maybe something along the lines of this?

Regards,

J.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Since you are only needing two different setups, I'd just cobble together two different sleds. I have done a number of them for making long wedges, using the miter slot.

Another option is to make a sled with the taper you need on both sides. Here's one for cutting tapered porch columns that tapers from 14" to 12", so 1" on each side.

The workpiece is 2" wider than the final part but less would be OK. In any case, you mount the workpiece in the sled with a screw through the fence at each end to secure it.

The rip fence is set to give you the correct amount of cutoff. I'm make beveled cuts but it doesn't matter, it works at any angle including 90 deg. The key is that the jig is wide enough that the offcut has room to fall harmlessly between the blade and rip fence.

And here's the finished part:

And the column:

When I have to make a lot of identical parts this is how I do it. Tapers, hexagons, it doesn't matter, you can make any shape that has straight cuts, and it works equally well on the bandsaw.

John

I would suggest using a simple 'L' fence. Nothing fancy, but it should do what you want.

Google.... 'L' fence video.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I made coopered bucket kits for a kids project--70+ kits & lots of happy kids--. The staves were tapered just like you are wanting, and beveled as well. I made two jigs using my inca miter sled to get the angles just right then used the jigs against the fence to make the cuts. I saved the jigs and can send pics if you wish. Not difficult once set up. The buckets had 12 staves so 24 cuts X 70 kits---I got pretty good at it after the first 500!!

I'd second the "L" fence. Built one and used nothing else for tapers since.

Track saws thrive on stuff like this.

I know how I'd do it - but - I can't even begin to explain it.

Maybe this video will help.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=busKR0Y9fbs
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Polubinsky View Post
    What about making a jig that doesn't use the fence but rides in the miter slot
    Another example of that idea.

Taper Jig (15).jpgTaper Jig (13).jpgTaper Jig 2.0 pin assembly detail (3).jpgTaper Jig 2.0 pin assembly detail (2).jpg

The blank can be referenced on a pin if desired.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques Gagnon View Post
    Doug,

Maybe something along the lines of this?

Regards,

J.
    That was my thought. A jig like that can be useful for a number of tasks. The limitation is width of work piece. The work piece needs to be wide enough for the clamps.

The jig that Glenn and I think one other person recommended can also be guided by the rip fence but a bar in the miter slot would keep you from wandering away from the fence.

For shorter stock I do this

Angle Cut on Sled.jpg

Sometimes just measure and mark on the ends, sometimes clamp something behind the corner for quicker repeatability.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fennell View Post

The tough part is that if you use a traditional taper jig sled, this is not really possible. Even reinserting the the scrap piece on one side, flipping and recutting won't work because of the saw kerf - you'll just cut a trapezoidal shape.
    Well, if you add a 1/8" shim, or whatever the kerf width is, that should work. Or you could rough out the copies and use a flush trim bit with the original as a pattern.