Thread: Anyone ever put Minwax Wipe-On Poly on top of General Finishes Seal-A-Cell?

Anyone ever put Minwax Wipe-On Poly on top of General Finishes Seal-A-Cell?

Hi,

I am refinishing some really old redwood planks. I like the General Finishes Seal-A-Cell (SAC) and Arm-R-Seal (ARS) products. I really like the SAC as the first coat on the redwood. However, the satin ARS is too shiny for me in this application. I have tried the satin Minwax Wipe-On Poly (MWWOP) (oil-based) and like the sheen much better for this project. Has anyone put MWWOP over SAC or have any thoughts on whether that will work or is compatible? Thanks.

The key is surface preparation. Any time you use something "polyurethane", you really have to be sure that you promote good adhesion since it doesn't really like to stick to itself sometimes. So carefully abrade the surface to eliminate the shine before you start applying your wipe on "poly" for best results. Otherwise, I don't see any major issue with what your propose. You may also want to test the satin Varathane product to see how that compares before you make a final decision. I've been using it lately because I can't spray my normal waterborne products in my temporary shop situation and have been pleased with the results.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Arm-R-Seal uses urethane resin so my guess is MinWax Wipe On Poly will stick equally as well to Seal-A-Cell. But of course do a test panel first to confirm.

John

I did this and had no problem.

I'll reiterate...I do not believe there will be any compatibility issues and others have confirmed that. But proper preparation will make sure that stays true.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Gibbons View Post
    I did this and had no problem.
    Thanks everyone. Ed Gibbons, I am just curious why you chose this combination.

Quote Originally Posted by Den Rose View Post
    Thanks everyone. Ed Gibbons, I am just curious why you chose this combination.
    It was part of Homestead mission oak finishing schedule.

https://homesteadfinishingproducts.com/stickley.pdf