Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: used Laguna LT 18, thoughts?

used Laguna LT 18, thoughts?

Hello everyone, this is my first post and wanted to get opinions on a used Laguna LT 18 bandsaw with a 5 hp baldor motor. Its a 2006 single owner, looks to be in great shape (no rust etc). Will be used for resaw and general cutting. Comes with a couple of blades but the owner said worth about $200 so probably no resaw kings etc. its listed for $2,900 and located in CA. I have looked at the new ones and they do not appear to be a whole lot different (they use a leeson motor now). Am I missing anything with this 15 year old machine? Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by Peter Tennyson; 10-10-2021 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Title

Welcome to SMC and thanks for joining as a contributor!

From the photos, that machines looks to be well maintained and it's not a complicated machine. Given how hard it is to get new machines, prices on used are elevated compared to in the past, but the demand is there. Don't delay if you decide to move forward....it WILL be gone quickly most likely.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

make sure you check the 5hp motor electrical rating. A lot of 5hp motors are 3ph. . which means you either have to have 3 phase or need a vfd. And a lot of the VFD's for 240v are only rated up to 3hp or so. Most of the bigger guys dont build a 5hp vfd off single phase. I'm sure they are available - just not commonly found.

I doubt this machine is 3 phase as it would be atypical for the brand. 4.8-5hp single phase motors are common on this size Italian bandsaw. That said, I agree with the advise to check the motor name plate for specifications as they are not listed on the machine nameplate in the photos.
    --

I know the likes of Hitachi recommend going a size up than the rating of the motor,
    but does this need be the case if one were to buy a VFD which has the capability to de-rate the motor.
    i.e de-rate to 3 hp to be on the safe side, and buy a 4hp VFD.

Even the cheapo Huanyang for instance has that, along with a tonne of other options for CNC's and the likes.
    Plenty of Italian 24 inchers about with 3hp motors.

If worried about it should it be 3 phase, but still eager for the machine then all one needs to be sure of is if one can see 220v (household supply)
    on the motor nameplate...should be a delta (D) or a triangle to denote it is a "dual voltage" motor.
    (which means it can be run on low voltage configuration)

Perhaps this should be on the VFD thread?

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 10-10-2021 at 4:13 PM.

The CL posting for this saw has a pic of the motor plate. It is indeed a single phase 230 volt saw. The plate actually says it is 4.5 hp. It was made by Baldor.

I join the chorus of folks saying to buy it. I have a LT16HD, a smaller brother of this saw. I've used it heavily for 22 years now, and have been very pleased with it.

Tom, I honestly do not believe that the bandsaw that the OP is considering is 3 phase as I noted in post #4 above. I certainly could be wrong, but I doubt it. Most likely, it will just require a 30 amp 240v single phase circuit. It's pictured in what looks like someone's residential garage, too...note the little kid's bike.
    --

…we may possibly be going astray with conversation about 3 phase /VFD.

The saw of interest to the owner is equipped with a motor that is most likely (unless it has been modified) a single phase 5hp motor. This is similar to the configuration of a Minimax saw such as MM16 / MM20.

Just my tiny fraction of a dollar.

J.

PS: Apologies for somewhat repeating; I was typing while Jamie and Jim replied.
    Last edited by Jacques Gagnon; 10-10-2021 at 5:16 PM.

Thank you for the responses! It is indeed single phase.
    Last edited by Peter Tennyson; 10-10-2021 at 7:15 PM.

Blog Entries
    Peter I almost bought the 18" used version of this bandsaw when I was in the market for a bandsaw. This is a very good saw and although it seems like a lot it is difficult to find a saw like this these days. The new cost being ~$4,900 (with taxes and shipping). I had this 18" saw in my list of new saws I was looking at and it was near the top of my list. If it is in as good of shape as it appears then it would definitely be a good buy.

I got lucky and found a SCM s600/MM24 24" bandsaw so I jumped on it. Finding these on the used market takes patience but it looks like you've found a good choice.

How interesting, I had no idea Laguna tools were made in Italy. I guess I just assumed there were cast in China/Taiwan.

Derek,

The LT line (16, 18, 24, etc) are Italian made machines and are a different quality level and weight class compared to the Taiwanese Laguna saws.
    Still waters run deep.

Decent deal for a saw of this size, if you're looking for a saw in this size class.
    I've seen similar 16" saws going for ~2k in this area, but not recently, and anything in that range tends to go pretty fast.
    I'm a bit surprised it is still up on CL, after a couple of days. Have you talked to the seller yet?

Things I'd check:
    - tire condition.
    - table trunnions -- make sure no cracks from misadventures
    - overall operation (switch/safety switches/bearings)
    - how you'd move and get it into your shop

I think the trunnions are about the only disqualifier; other issues may help bring down the cost.
    (my impression is that replacing the tires on the italian saws is a bit more annoying than on a 14" delta clone)

Matt
    Last edited by Matthew Hills; 10-10-2021 at 11:40 PM.

I can attest that the castings are very good on the Italian machines,
    My saw must have been dropped or whatever, the only thing to break on the trunnion was the threads which have a single bolt to lock the table.
    I made this contraption for it, as there was only a clamp holding this huge table on before I had it.
    I am going to revisit my failed trunnion design, as it doesn't really work that well, going to Centaurolize it with a plate instead.
    DSCN2164.jpg

I can speak very highly of the castings for the carriage mainly, as someone who was at the saw before me, decided a split pin would never be taken out.
    Everything was assembled backwards, and that caused a few things to get damaged, which I replaced.
    Boy I welted on that pin with a big hammer and custom punch trying to get it out, and failed, needed to grind the pin out, what a nightmare.
    My 1997 saw was a friday special and there was some alignment issues with the guidepost, and whoever tried to service it was a chancer.
    Respect the split pin folks.
    SAM_4229.jpg

Possibly a hint of trouble might be seeing if the machine will rock about on the floor if you give it a shunt with a few fingers,
    this could be why the guidepost alignment was off on my machine, fixed that since.

You don't hear of many if any Italian lemons.
    I'll guess the Laguna got 1st dibs on the ACM machines, (since there are extras like heavier table for instance), and Griggio got the last.
    This saw was to replace a brand new far Eastern lemon I had which went back to the shop, and no longer in production, as with Griggio too.

Tires can be dressed with a plane iron, these are vulcanised so worth keeping.
    Bearings are cheap to buy, price of a steak, get a pullers from a car mechanic and watch Jack Forsberg on youtube about that.
    Moving these is easy when you do it right, silly video which might give some confidence.
    At one point you can see the finger pivot test, which demonstrates balance is easier than strength.

Take the table off, lift the front onto something, and you can walk around and grab it by the column.
    Lay down on some fenceposts not to stoop or catch fingers, and some carpet,jackets whathaveyou.
    Have a wee dolly to move it horizontally when it's going in the shed.
    https://youtu.be/TqvksdzJ6ls

Hope that helps, and I haven't scared you off with my tale of woe, safe guessing the company would be long gone if they all were like mine.

If you want to do some haggling then have something like a 3/4" blade on it, which might show some wear on the tires.
    A narrow blade will likely not show up anything.

SO for a conclusion to give you a better idea if you think this might be a lemon...
    Wobble test with a finger pressing against the top door
    Standing to the side of the machine to see if the post is in line
    SAM_4180.jpg
    And if you're allowed and really feel the need, might be an idea to see if the jacking shaft is central(ish)
    This requires an allen key, but I can't see anyone being happy about a buyer doing this
    SAM_4172.jpg

This was the problem with the prior cheaper machine also,
    It's like that to suit the guidepost, which I used to think was the absolute reference
    It most definitely is not, as I was to find this out when I replaced the belt, as the new one being tighter ( maybe not original?)
    had no give whatsoever, and the misalignment done in the motor bearings in a jiffy.

Thankfully the motor pulley is in line with the top wheel, (shaft is more centred now)
    These are both non adjustable and are therefore the absolute reference.

Hope that helps
    Tom

Last edited by Tom Trees; 10-11-2021 at 2:50 AM.

If you have the cash ,buy it already.