Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap exercise bikes

Cheap exercise bikes

For 25 years I had a very physical job running a retail garden center. Even thinking about exercising after work was a joke. Now after 11 years of sitting at a work bench, I need to do something.

I looked into an exercise bike some time ago but concerned investing the money into something I may loose interest in and not use it. (as many do)
    I now noticed a huge assortment of bikes now offered for around $200. Walmart even have some for $150 that dont "Look" bad at all.
    Here is one example https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RZ2X557...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Has anyone purchased a cheap one they can recommend?

Keeping an eye out for used but rather just buy new.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Silver Sneakers.

If you are on Medicare - if not, check around at local fitness clubs.

A lot of them offer low cost memberships. My wife used to belong to Fitworks right by our house. They were only like $10 a month
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    Cruise your local yard sales, there are all sorts of exercise equipment for sale all the time for rock bottom prices. The problem with stationary exercise equipment is that it is basically boring to use. It is far better to get out and walk around the block or a park where the scenery and conditions vary. Start out slow and set modest goals. It is also good to find an exercise partner as they will encourage you when you tend to lose some interest.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

If you have a bike, one of these might work for you.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0798J91JD...ing=UTF8&psc=1

If you run across an old Airdyne, get it. They are basically indestructible. Mine has gone 1000’s of equivalent miles with just lubricating the chain. The Airdyne design has both arm levers and pedals so it works everything.

My alternative recommendation is to get an actual bike you can ride outside...you can get exercise and also enjoy more of the world around you. I recently did that and I've been able to go places and see things locally that I didn't even know existed. I will admit I'm not riding as much as I should...largely due to distractions with still trying to get the old property sold and necessary home improvements here at the new place, but still...I believe it was a good choice. Stationary exercise equipment has come and gone with me over the years as have gym memberships. I'm glad to be able to get fresh air and that's more motivating in so many ways.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

An electric bike for outdoor use can still provide good exercise while allowing you to ride more miles. I am pondering getting an electric trike that I can use for exercise and to replace a few of my car trips.

I know many areas have seasons where riding outside is not really possible. It should be easy to find a used exercise bike. You might talks to friends and relatives to see if anyone has an exercise bike they want rid of. A great many people have purchased an exercise bike with good intentions and never use it. Some thrift shops won't even take exercise bikes because of the sheer volume they would get and the difficulty of selling them.
    Last edited by Brian Elfert; 10-10-2021 at 5:10 PM.

I have a Lemond Fitness coat hanger,…er, spin bike. I’d suggest cruising the want ads and garage sales in your area. You can likely pick up a pretty nice piece of equipment for short or no money. A yr ago now, my wife got me into doing Yoga with her. We do Yoga with Adriene on U-T. Free and has helped me a great deal. As we age muscle mass melts away and what strength I have is measured in flexibility and range of motion. It has surprised me. Segments are 10-45 mins.

I'm picking one up tomorrow to sell cheap. Where are you located?
    I'm in Grand rapids, Mich.

He's in Cincinnati.

I had the Schwinn Airdyne but replaced it with a Schwinn 270 recumbent. I have shoulder issues and a hip replacement so went with the recumbent but the Airdyne was used for over 20 years without a hitch. The new one has bells and whistles that I don't understand. I'll be riding along watching TV and all of a sudden lights flash and sounds beep causing me to stop. Seems I met my goal even though I didn't set one. I just pedal for a half hour the heck with the rest. Simple is better for this old boy.

I had to pick up an exercise bike due to 2 major ankle surgeries in 14 months. I searched Craigslist daily and missed out on several free barely used bikes because I couldn't lift the bike while elevating one foot and using crutches. I ended up getting a new Flexbike Ultra from a woman battling MS while my LOML carried it for me. It has held up surprisingly well this last year and it's very nice and quiet to pedal and has 3 positions including recumbent. Yes, it's boring to be on an exercise bike, but while I'm doing the easy motion, I read a book. In another 2 days I might get approval to start bearing weight again and when I can crank up the bike to a heavier setting and pedal harder, I can listen to podcasts or watch the news.

If you use FB, check out their marketplace for free items and you will see several for free or very cheap. Same thing for craigslist. If it's free, it doesn't matter what brand it is!
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Too often a cheap exercise bike will work like a…. Cheap exercise bike. If the bike is not smooth and comfortable it usually ends up as a clothes rack. The gym I go to has gone thru several generations of bike with each one getting better in terms of pedaling feel and and comfort adjustment. If you are going to buy a bike test it by putting on some resistance and standing. If it feels jerky or in any way unsmooth as you pedal hard I suggest moving on. This is your health and well-being you are attempting to maintain or improve and if you’re going to spend a couple hours a week on it buy something that is enjoyable to use mechanically and comfort wise. You are worth it!

I agree with Bernie. My Wife likes a Peloton, but I like the NordicTrack better. We spend 30 minutes on them almost every morning. I'd get aggravated with a cheap one the first five minutes. We don't have any memberships. We just like looking out over the pastures, and the lake, and thinking about what we need to do that day.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 10-11-2021 at 6:38 PM.

We have an exercise bike that someone dumped in a ditch along our road frontage years ago. It works. I've never done any maintenance to it other than I might have oiled the chain when we first found it, I don't remember. It gets used occasionally in the winter. I don't find the seat comfortable, it's huge and wide. I agree with Jim Becker's suggestion, and the benefits of an actual bike. I am much more comfortable on my real bicycle, and like to ride it when practical, though there are months in the winter when I don't ride at all because of the snow and ice on the roads. In August of 2019 I had my longest bicycle day, 13 hours and 129 miles towing a trailer with a canoe on it, and camping things in the canoe. I had a fair wind that day which helped a lot, especially since I was gaining some altitude on my way from near Lake Ontario up into the Adirondacks.