Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Electric Cars

We are both right Doug.

I got the $300 a month from the banner for the story on Green Car Reports. I didn't bother reading the whole story, which said $300 per week, including insurance. That's $47 a day, and it mentions how leasing it from Tesla is much more expensive.

The mention of Fords former CEO being the CEO of Hertz came from Ford Authority website, which has connections to various Ford employees, and Ford seemingly uses their leaks of upcoming changes as a 'look the other way' of getting rumors going.

I think this website was the one that just broke the news of Ford possibly building Hybrid versions of the regular Mustang.

Yes I am a Ford fanboy, I own two C-Max plug-ins, a GT Convertible, an F-250 diesel, a '56, '55 bird, Model A hotrod, and a T touring with a V8-60.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I'm still learning about electrics and I'm enjoying this thread.

Yesterday, I saw an SUV with Mustang tail lights. I thought "well, that's an odd customization". But it turned out to be an electric Mustang SUV - didnt know about that one. I won't laugh at it - too many people laughed (initially) at Porsche for the Cayenne. But still I was surprised they did it to the 'Stang.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Fred, yes, that Mustang EV is real and has been around now for a bit. There have been some "hairy eyeballs" around reuse of the name on an SUV?CUV, but in the end, they did bring along some of the Mustang look. I suspect they chose an SUV/CUV type bodystyle simply because that's what's driving the industry right now. Sedans/Coupes are way down in popularity vs SUVs and trucks, so when diving into the EV marketplace, it was logical to embrace what the market likes relative to body style.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Fred, yes, that Mustang EV is real and has been around now for a bit. There have been some "hairy eyeballs" around reuse of the name on an SUV?CUV, but in the end, they did bring along some of the Mustang look. I suspect they chose an SUV/CUV type bodystyle simply because that's what's driving the industry right now. Sedans/Coupes are way down in popularity vs SUVs and trucks, so when diving into the EV marketplace, it was logical to embrace what the market likes relative to body style.
    Also an easier platform to deal with in terms of battery placement.

There are rumors of an EV Corvette in the works. Not sure where they'd put the batteries, short of embedding them in the frame rails. I certainly hope it doesn't turn out to be a rebadged Tahoe.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

2 electric motors, 1000 hp, four wheel steering, four wheel drive 2023, at least that is what I thought I heard on a you tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post

There are rumors of an EV Corvette in the works. Not sure where they'd put the batteries, short of embedding them in the frame rails. I certainly hope it doesn't turn out to be a rebadged Tahoe.
    I think I read that in an article about the latest Corvette version with the smaller, but more powerful ICE engine. GM is very likely to do what other "performance car" companies are doing which is moving to electrification. Given that the current generation of Corvette is mid-engine with the cabin pushed forward, I don't believe they will have to "SUV-it" to be able to deal with room for batteries.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The Tesla Roadster apparently has plenty of room for batteries. 0-60 in 1.9 seconds, 250 mph top speed, 600 mile range promised. They should be able to pack a lot into the Corvette.

If you get one you can hope you have someone willing to give you lots of tires, have to imagine it eats them for lunch with that kind of acceleration! The batteries provide a really low center of mass which really improves handling.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I think I read that in an article about the latest Corvette version with the smaller, but more powerful ICE engine. GM is very likely to do what other "performance car" companies are doing which is moving to electrification. Given that the current generation of Corvette is mid-engine with the cabin pushed forward, I don't believe they will have to "SUV-it" to be able to deal with room for batteries.
    Actually GM made EV committments well before Ford. I think they are to have 25 EV's by 2025. I just saw the Cadillac Lyriq advertised last night on TV. I don't know if it's on sale yet or not. I didn't look but it's pretty sharp in my opinion. There is a Corvette ERay in the pipeline. I get Corvette newsletters since I'm in a couple Corvette forums. Happy owner of a 2014 C7 Convertible here. Just what every old man needs.

Yes I am a Ford fanboy, I own two C-Max plug-ins, a GT Convertible, an F-250 diesel, a '56, '55 bird, Model A hotrod, and a T touring with a V8-60.
    So is your Model A hotrod actually Ford powered Rick? The vast majority have small block Chevy's.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-29-2021 at 8:56 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    The Tesla Roadster apparently has plenty of room for batteries. 0-60 in 1.9 seconds, 250 mph top speed, 600 mile range promised. They should be able to pack a lot into the Corvette.
    I'd take those numbers with a very large lump of salt: unless it's using a radically different tech than the Model S, the 200kWh battery they're talking about for the Roadster weighs about 1600lbs and takes up about 20 cubic feet of space. But it boils down to the Tesla having the advantage of being designed around the battery instead of vice versa.

So let's back off that about 50% (at least) and assume something comparable to the Model S drivetrain stuffed into the 'Vette. The motor takes up a not-insignificant amount of space itself: figure at least half the current engine bay by the time the controller electronics and accessory units (e.g. electric A/C) get added in. Here's the fun part: the trunks on the C8 total out to 12cu-ft, not much more than the size of the battery packs. Problem is, the (much larger) rear one is in a terrible location for something as heavy as battery packs: way too far back and way too high. You might get half a Tesla worth of battery into the front trunk, unless of course you want to have AWD and you need that space for a second motor or transfer case. That leaves whatever useful remains of the engine bay, which will again be higher than desirable, but at least it's inside the wheelbase.

Short of redesigning the whole car, the C8 makes a lot more sense as a hybrid than a pure EV.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Seems to me if you are going to make an EV version of such an iconic car it would be foolish not to redesign the whole car and do it right. GM has committed to eliminate all ICE vehicle production by 2035.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Seems to me if you are going to make an EV version of such an iconic car it would be foolish not to redesign the whole car and do it right.
    Agreed, but that doesn't fit with the timeframe they've been discussing: possible 2024 introduction.

I can see it now, "Do you want to prepay the charging cost or stop to recharge before dropping off"

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Agreed, but that doesn't fit with the timeframe they've been discussing: possible 2024 introduction.
    Since they have been working on EV's for a while now I would guess they have been doing the ERay project for a while now. I looked and the trademark and patents were filed in 2015. It's a hybrid and not a full plug in EV. It will be AWD with the front wheels electrically driven. Here is a link with some info.
    gmauthority.com/blog/gm/chevrolet/corvette/chevrolet-corvette-c8/chevrolet-corvette-c8-e-ray/

Ronald,

The Model A has an '84 Chevy Camaro 2.7 L. V-6 in it, with a turbo 350 trans. It was that way when I got it, and the main reason I got it. Model A frames are pretty flexible, and you can twist one with torque if it is not beefed up.

I just wanted this one to drive around, not to impress anybody, and it has been that way for over 25 years. I used to have an A coupe with rumble seat (for 25 years), with a Pinto motor in it, and always regretted letting it go. Lot's of A's had pinto motors, they even bolted to the original bell housing.

Funny you ask, because just this morning my son in Texas asked me to sell it to him, as it reminds him of the coupe we had, and his son loves driving my Tudor. I suspect it will be heading East soon, on extended loan. The 'T' with the V8 60 motor is in the same situation at my son in laws home a few miles from me.

You see a lot of Chevy motors in old Fords because they are several inches shorter than most Ford motors.....they fit.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 10-29-2021 at 10:02 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.