Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Cars

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post

Last month I flew into Vancouver BC and rented a car from Budget who had some prominent signage that they were offering the electric Volvo SUV. I asked about it and the guy at the counter told me there was way more demand than they expected and the few they had were always booked out. Coincidentally, the AirBnB I was using offered EV charging as one of the amenities. I don't recall the exact rental price of the Volvo but it was definitely higher than the ICE vehicles.
    Maybe that's the bet, if the price is a little more I might go ahead and get the Tesla just for the fun of it. I have a feeling that the auto driving function will be turned off for us untrained renters.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    ... it was definitely higher than the ICE vehicles.
    "...only $6 more!"

I always have to laugh at the up-sale at the counters. No matter which level you decide on, there is always one better.

Old story: Hertz(?) at one time rented Shelby GT 350s. They were NEVER available on the weekends - - since someone had rented it for their day on the racetrack.

There was also a new batch of Hertz Mustangs a couple years ago. The 60's models get premium money on the old car market.

Aside from travelers who rent one for the unique opportunity, Hertz Teslas will be in rental demand for prospective buyers who want to try one out before buying a new one.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 10-25-2021 at 1:20 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I think that Hertz has multiple motivations for the Tesla buy; market differentiation, additional supplier source in a constrained manufacturing market, bringing change as they reinvent themselves coming off the bankruptcy, etc.

I think that Rick is also correct that, there's going to be money made by them for what is effectively "extended test drives" by prospective Tesla buyers.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I think that Hertz has multiple motivations for the Tesla buy;
    Agreed, and I might say Tesla has equally numerous motivations for the Hertz sale.
    It makes you wonder which side initiated the idea because a good case could be made either way. Clever move
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 10-25-2021 at 4:01 PM.

Isn't this deal with Hertz just going to make the wait for the public to get Telsa vehicles even worse? The wait to buy a model 3 today is between one and two months depending on which option is selected. 10% of Tesla's entire production for the next year is going exclusively to Hertz. Hertz doesn't have an exclusive with Tesla, but Tesla may not have the cars available to sell to any other rental car company.

Brian, the wait for a factory order from any vehicle manufacturer right now is typically between 8 and 16 weeks at the moment, depending on the make/model.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I think it is a brilliant co-marketing strategy from both side's perspectives. Hertz will have a vehicle many will be willing to pay extra to try out, and Tesla will get thousands of extended test drives without having to use their own vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Isn't this deal with Hertz just going to make the wait for the public to get Telsa vehicles even worse? The wait to buy a model 3 today is between one and two months depending on which option is selected. 10% of Tesla's entire production for the next year is going exclusively to Hertz. Hertz doesn't have an exclusive with Tesla, but Tesla may not have the cars available to sell to any other rental car company.
    With the Berlin and Austin Gigafactories coming on line it "should" be a much smaller fraction of Tesla's capacity. We'll see how that goes!

Here's a follow-up article to the link in my previous post - now presenting an opposite opinion...

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...ge/6173743001/

This article was co-authored by the author of the previous link and Mark Thelan (who has been a longtime auto beat writer for the Freep.)
    "Don't worry. They couldn't possibly hit us from that dist...."

Not sure if I can post this link, but Hertz is already advertising the ability to rent Tesla Model 3's with free supercharging at Tesla superchargers.

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/renta...FWZMwQodu7YDsg

Didn't take them long to get that out, though a quick check looking for one at Tampa International Airport didn't show any listed.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 10-27-2021 at 8:39 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Not sure if I can post this link, but Hertz is already advertising the ability to rent Tesla Model 3's with free supercharging at Tesla superchargers.

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/renta...FWZMwQodu7YDsg

Didn't take them long to get that out, though a quick check looking for one at Tampa International Airport didn't show any listed.
    Take it a step further and see if you can find one to rent. I was curious so I searched first St Louis, then Dallas, then Los Angeles going all the way out to November of 2022. Maybe because I'm not a Hertz member it showed no availability but plenty other vehicles did. I was just curious what the rental rate was. But with no availability there was no rate displayed. I stand corrected. Using the link you provided it works. Only $399 per day. No thank you.
    Last edited by Ronald Blue; 10-27-2021 at 9:12 AM.

I just read that Hertz is gonna rent thousands of them to Uber drivers for $300 per month, including insurance.

Hard to believe, but apparently the deal is for 150,000 cars over whatever period of time. This was on a Ford Website, and also mentioned that the CEO of Hertz is the former CEO of Ford.

Speaking of Ford, the Lightning plant is not the whole story. Ford is gonna build 'Blue Oval City' in Tennessee at a cost of 5 BILLION dollars. They will be building other cars and batteries there.

Gee, I wonder why CA wasn't in the running?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I just read that Hertz is gonna rent thousands of them to Uber drivers for $300 per month, including insurance.

Hard to believe, but apparently the deal is for 150,000 cars over whatever period of time. This was on a Ford Website, and also mentioned that the CEO of Hertz is the former CEO of Ford
    MMMMM, sounds too good to be true, maybe because it's not. The deal is actually per week not month. Still a deal. I also wonder why it would be on a Ford website, I looked at Ford.com and didn't see it.

Only $399 per day. No thank you.
    Not a bad rate for renting a supercar. I bet a slower car like a Ferrari or Lamborghini would cost more.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-28-2021 at 9:05 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging