Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help with Studley inspired tool cabinet design

My opinion of the Studley cabinet is that it held a careful selection of tools that made the piece of art work visually, and did not represent a practical working device. As a work of art it is excellent.

About 25 years ago I was struggling with my tools in my small shop. This was my solution.

Tool Cabinet.JPG

It is about 42" x 26" x 74" and the 17 drawers provide almost 100 sq ft of drawer bottom space. The drawers are sized to fit my tools and hardware not stacked or boxed. It has stood the test of time and tool acquisition. Most of my clamps are on the wall but 90% of my tools and hardware are in the chest. The footprint is significant but way better than the previous plan.

Tom, that is one fine tool cabinet. I love the design. I don’t remember if it was Kernov, Garret Hack or someone else who said something to the effect of “A shop is a place you should look forward to returning to time and time again.” But I always think of this quote when I see finely crafted cabinets and benches in workshops. I know there is an old “Show me your tool cabinet” thread in the archives here with a number of inspiring pieces, but this piece is one that inspires me. Thanks for sharing. Now I want to see where you store your planes! Well done, and the cabinet looks like it was just made.

are the drawers all on wooden runners?

Thanks Joe. Planes are in the drawer just above the three open ones. Commonly used stuff at the most convenient height, obsolete bits in that top drawer.

As many have stated, statement chests are usually made towards the end of a career. This is the time when You're no longer "collecting" tools and your method of work is pretty well set in stone. Making a chest too early in ones career is a recipe for out growing it.
    For myself, something like this simply isn't practical but I can certainly appreciate what goes into making one.