Thread: Single Hung Windows-How to make?

Single Hung Windows-How to make?

Wondering if any members have made their own windows either single or double hung, you know the ones with the weights in wall? Just toying with the thought, yea I know its lot work and maintenance. But I'm sure you remember your old house that you were raise up in maybe back in 40's or 50's that those windows you would raise up and maybe not get stuck. Yea the weights I guess broke off so we had to use a stick to prop the windows open. If anything maybe make good conversation, but I am thinking about it dreaming

I made non-opening windows last year for the 250 year old portion of our old residence, so I can say that making the panels is very doable by most woodworkers. The original windows were single hung, but without the weights...they predated that...and likely used a stick ot hold them open when they were still able to be opened. I suspect you can get a more modern solution than rope and chains for making your own single or double hung windows, but I never looked into it for my project as the major intent there was elimination of noise and air infiltration rather than opening.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If you look back at really old windows, they used molding planes and joined the rails and stiles with a through tenon. Some didn't use glue, just a draw bored pin to close the joint. Not unlike cabinet doors and entrance doors. You can buy spring loaded tracks for window restoration, but rope and weights would not be a big deal either.

Get a copy of Modern Practical Joinery by George Ellis. That will give all the details needed.

"Single Hung" is really a name for a particular type of window with two sash, where only one operates. The old single hung windows did not use counterweights, but typically had a pivoting piece that held the lower sash up with it was raised all the way up.

Check out the Windows page on my website, as well as the Glazing page,to see how I make replacement sash for these old windows.

I have redone some double hung windows completely, also, and although not completely made one from scratch, in the course of repairing old ones, have not left out any individual parts made as replacements. If you're going to make complete window units, I'd make Double Hung, and not Single Hung units.

There is a Lot of time involved in the process. I will only wish you luck.

A good start is to get a window sash and frame from the appropriate period, and take it apart to see how it was made.

You will need to be able to make coped tenons 1 7/8" long, and through mortises.

The stock profile sash cutter shaper and router bit sets look awful, the geometry is always clunky. Copy a nice looking profile on an old sash.

I replace parts that can be changed easily in the future. For instance, stops, and parting stops are installed with threaded inserts in the jambs, for machine screws.

I leave the stops bare wood, against bare, unpainted wood on the sash, only where they rest together. The parts you can see when the windows are closed are painted. The bare wood is waxed. These windows will work easily.

When I replace sash ropes on the sash, I don't just knot the line, and put a couple of nails through the cord. I install threaded inserts in the sash, and use a bolt. These can be changed, or the sash taken out easily for repair, without any hammering on the sash.

I don't have any pictures of the stops, with machine screws. I do this even on 18th Century windows. The easiest way to repair, or paint a sash is to take it out. For a couple of museum houses, I provided some replacement sash. If one gets damaged, or needs painting, they can be changed out to one of the replacements, and the repair made as time permits.

I did remember a picture of the 1850 sash that I changed the sash cord attachment method.
    Attached Images Attached Images

In my window repair toolbox, I keep a couple of ice picks. If I need to take a sash out, with cords, the ice picks are stuck through the cord to hold the weights up, and tension off the lines going to the windows.

With the removable stops, it's really just a few minute job to take sash out to the inside.

Depends on where you are located as to the type of window. Out west in Colorado it’s always the machine made windows of the late 1800s and early 1900s. Some of the remote mine buildings where everything was brought in on mules they would use the building studs for a frame with pre made sash in between. No weights. I’m sure William and Tom see a lot of 1600- 1800s pre machine era windows. Locally I don’t build a lot of double hung and rarely the single glaze type. I am tooled up for the UK version double - single hung. Called sash windows over there.
    here is a sample cutaway. These are tooling intense windows but better energy efficient with double gaskets.
    3840A3BC-4D2F-40F6-95FD-5371AA5EC004.jpg
    F786096A-64E2-4EBB-AC69-3BA066DF522F.jpg
    the book Kevin mentions is good. It’s origin is England and a bit more complex than most here. Photo of drawings from this book.
    1111D35F-38FF-48C9-BE9B-A56FF3A64E5A.jpg
    Another good, simpler resource is the old Delta book “Getting the most out of your shaper” out of print but these can be found on EBay.
    Delta had cutters and stub spindles for this type of window. It was a inexpensive way to get into making Double hung. These cutters could probably still be located used. I regret selling mine.
    A2538A81-2AF8-4747-AE8D-0CFFDFC33F5F.jpg
    and from another 1950s millwork book.
    CD739529-CBD7-4460-B28A-80BF8A29952B.jpg
    Last edited by Joe Calhoon; 10-10-2021 at 5:30 PM.

A very good treatise on door and window making.

https://lostartpress.com/collections...-window-making

The digital download is only $13.50

Tony
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

I have worked for my dad for over 40 yrs at Oskaloosa Glass and Millwork. Back in the days we used to make a lot of wood sash, storms and screen inserts. Back in the days when every house had wood windows and storms. Most of the time it was twice a year we would have a list of 40 to 70 sash to make. Used to go next door the the lumber yard and get 5/4 and 6/4 clear white pine. That stuff was amazing...it was clear, flat and straight. All different widths and lengths...wish I had a truck load of that today.

We had all the milling machines to make all the parts. Had a shaper with all the cutters (still have that stuff) an old multi machine with table saw, bandsaw, jointer, hollow chisel mortiser...it was quite the machine. Wish I had then old machine today also.
    We never used glue , just slip the tenons in the mortis and nailed or staple them together and then trimed off the tenons to length. It was a several day project to make all those sash.

Then as a young kid I got to glaze all of those. Put the glass in them and putty them all. I got pretty good and puttying windows.

Looking back it was pretty cool the way we used to do it. There was some really Good lumber back then.