Thread: welder comparison

welder comparison

I am interested in learning to do some hobby welding, doing some yard art.
    From those in the know can you offer some thoughts on the two welders listed in the thread.
    I understand the basic differences, features, and capabilities of the welders I have listed.
    I have narrow my choices down to the millermatic 141 or 211 the 211 being dual voltage
    or the Lincoln 210mp or 140 mp 210 also being dual voltage

Quote Originally Posted by allen thunem View Post
    From those in the know can you offer some thoughts on the two welders listed in the thread.
    I understand the basic differences, features, and capabilities of the welders I have listed.
    I have narrow my choices down to the millermatic 141 or 211 the 211 being dual voltage
    I have the Miller 211 MIG plus a Miller TIG, a small Lincoln Weldpac 100 flux core, and a AC/DC stick welder.

I use the 211 the most for making and fixing things, welds can be beautiful. Note the MIG welders are more useful indoors or with some wind shielding outdoors, just a tarp or something is fine.

I seldom use it on 110 since the capacity is limited and it's not too portable. When I need to use it away from the shop I use the forks on the tractor to carry it with cart and gas cylinder.

The little 110v Lincoln is much more portable (pick up and carry with one hand) and does a reasonable job when away from the 220v power. Flux core so no gas cylinder is needed.

For "pretty" welding, it's hard to beat the TIG, although it takes developing a bit more skill than MIG. If you can gas weld with a torch, TIG welding is easy.

BTW, I made a long extension cord with heavy stranded wire cable and 50amp connectors which lets me use the big welders out in the driveway by the shop and around the house.

JKJ

Allen, You can't go wrong with either Miller or Lincoln machines. More important in your decision is the thickness of the metal you will be welding. If you're not sure at this time and if cost is not an issue I would go with either the 210 or 211. Assuming you've done some research you realize that MIG machines excel at welding steel and can be used to weld aluminum with a different gas and usually a spool gun. If you think you are going to end up welding aluminum at some point you will want the higher amperage machine.

Allen, of the machines you listed I've owned a Lincoln 210MP for 3 years, and have been very pleased with it. It replaced a Miller 140 and a Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC stick machine. It's light years better than the Miller 140, IMO.

I also have Miller Syncrowave 250DX TIG, and a Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D engine driven welder with the optional Suitcase MIG.

The Lincoln 210 MP is a great, all around machine. The autoset function is excellent, and very beneficial. I use it with both 240 and 120 inputs, but typically default to 240. My wire of choice with it is hard wire with shielding gas, and I've run .023, .030, and .035 with good success.

I'd recommend that you spend the $ to obtain a quality hood with it. My current favorite is the Optrel Crystal 2.0, followed by the Lincoln Viking 3350C. The clarity of the Optrel is incredible.

5. I really like my Miller Multimatic 215. Dual voltage, will do stick,mig,tig, aluminum, flux core, stainless steel. I love the auto set feature, for learning to get in the ball park for amperage and feed rate of the wire. A real education can be had for a beginner welder like myself.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by allen thunem View Post
    So did you pick a welder and buy it?