Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boots

Boots

anyone recommend a waterproof boot that is comfortable for all day activities. I walk a lot during my day job and need something that is comfortable. I do not need it to be steel toe.

Blog Entries
    Hi Justin and welcome to the Creek.

My job required safety toe shoes. Mine were from Red Wing. Only one pair was comfortable.

Just before my retirement a friend in the medical field suggested Chippewa Shoes were more comfortable.

After about eight years of retirement medical reasons had me shift to shoes without laces while recovering from CABG surgery. My old work boots only are worn for rough n tough work now.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

what kind of work? I really liked My wolverine boots, I have tried many brands and worn many boots out working on oil rigs. The only way to keep a leather boot waterproof is to keep them oiled up with mink oil. I did mine about once a week. The chemicals can really kill them if they soak into the leather, like all the stuff in Frack fluid, condensate, crude, drilling mud, etc. some of my crew carried the big rubber overboots for the really muddy locations, or heavy snow, or if we were swabbing out crude with our tools.

I really like my Columbia insulated boots for winter as well, my feet have not been wet when out plowing the drive or whatever working outside. I may get some composite toe insulated though, as i will be doing more winter tractor work on this property. I'll be leaning towards wolverine again but will consider others now that there are more made in usa options. does not hurt that wolverine is based in my home town. they also make hush puppies, Cat, Harley, Merrill, Sperry and several other brands of shoes.

I also have a pair of "muds" by noble outfitters that i find more comfortable than "muck boots" brand stuff that i wear exclusively doing farm chores when I will be in contact with farm effluent if you get my drift. they are rubber and can get hot in the summer and never come in the house.

I would advise, if you are doing any heavy work, to go for a composite toe that is comfortable. even around the property i have been happy to have them a few times, and even if you only "use" that feature once, its worth it. don't want to start a saw stop debate though.

use the right tool for the job. don't cheap out on boots if you are spending more time in them than sleeping, or spend time in them sleeping as we did. I had an operator that did and the glue melted and his boots fell apart one particularly hot day in the outback. sand temp was something like 150 degrees in the sun. haha.

i have a lot of opinions on this topic.
    i think this is the equivalent to my last pair, its been a few years since i was in the field.

https://www.wolverine.com/US/en/ramp...%20USA&start=1
    Last edited by Adam Herman; 10-08-2021 at 1:06 PM.

I've heard very good things about Keen...and they do make waterproof/water resistant type footwear for work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Are you sure you want waterproof? Waterproof means not breathable, and you're going to have hot, sweaty feet.
    Personally, I prefer a breathable shoe with high quality wool socks.

Winter boots for something like ice fishing would be a different story.

My husband lives in his boots and really needs waterproof in the winter. He's hands down favorites are Keens. In the summer he wears ankle high Keen boots and in the winter prefers 9" with 1100 grams of Thinsulate. With those, he can work in standing water on the worst days of winter when answering emergency commercial (flat) roof leak calls. In the 40 years he's been in the trade, he's tried every boot made and the Keens are the only ones that work and manage to last two winters.

All of the above have been good. Keen has been excellent at honoring their warranties. It all depends upon what you plan to use them for and what environment you will be working in.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chance in Iowa View Post
    All of the above have been good. Keen has been excellent at honoring their warranties. It all depends upon what you plan to use them for and what environment you will be working in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I've heard very good things about Keen...and they do make waterproof/water resistant type footwear for work.
    About 18 months ago I went boot shopping. I also heard from a friend that Keen were excelent boots. However, I could not find wide widths anywhere for Keen boots.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I wear safety toe work boots 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. Several years ago I switched over to Keen products and have been very pleased. A good portion of my day is spent on a concrete floor and the Keens have been comfortable. I'm currently wearing the Dover model, but for your needs would also consider the Philadelphia model since it is waterproof.

I keep two pair in service, alternating them daily with the pair removed at night placed on a Peet boot dryer.

I wore Keen when they were first out. They were made with a wide last and roomy toe box that fit my hobbit feet well. Like Crocs, they’ve narrowed them up for the mass market and I can’t wear them any more.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    About 18 months ago I went boot shopping. I also heard from a friend that Keen were excelent boots. However, I could not find wide widths anywhere for Keen boots.

Try this search
    https://www.keenfootwear.com/mens-bo...th&prefv1=WIDE
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

kind of a personal question. Every foot is different. The one I landed on after 15 years of trial and error was Danner

I wear Keen hiking shoes, not boots, but I am very pleased with the construction and comfort. Unlike others, I found this shoe to be a little too wide but still very stable and comfortable. They are waterproof though I don't need that feature.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I don't know how anyone can recommend boots for someone else. I live in Nike running shoes, after Much trial and error of different brands, which fit my feet like they're made for them. Any stiff boots I've ever tried, and I include any leather boots in what I call stiff, slow my movement up enough to be a bother. I run, jump, slide, pivot, and need my ankles to be able to flex, or I get really tired, like from being tied down. If I wear boots, at the end of a work day I feel like I've worked two days.

The only waterproof boots I find that are bearable are Nike duty boots. The foot part fits like the running shoes I wear, and they're decently flexible. I wear them when I need boots to keep stuff out of my shoes, like when running a chainsaw.

I did try a number of snake-proof boots before finding some that were almost bearable, but on days that I wear them, my feet get Really tired from having my ankles stiffened up, and my movement has to be thought about, since it's limited.

I'm with you on that, Tom...I wear Sketchers Go-Walk with "custom off-the-shelf" inserts personally. I mentioned Keen above, however, because I've heard a lot of good things about them relative to waterproof work boots.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...