Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boots

i wholeheartedly recommend Zamberland boots. I frequently hike all day in a couple pairs I own. that being said - they arent necessarily work boots, but just outdoor boots. They have water resistant as well as waterproof. Great soles, and most of them can be resoled.

I have had two pairs of absolutely water proof boots lately.

I am currently in a pair of Xtra toughs (the brown ones with khaki trim) available in many styles and insulation thicknesses. Mine are rated to -20dF and have a composite toe, but there are many options. Good boot, not closely fitted. Good durability, accurate temp rating, not comfortable for long distance walking because they flop around on my feet.

Before that I had a pair of Boggs that were comfortable for long distance walking. The trouble with the Boggs, and likely any close fitting boot, is the rubber flexed with every step, cracked to let water in but didn't drain the water back out.

If you are looking for good/ excellent water resistance rather than absolutely water proof, Danner, Wolverine and Keen all make excellent boots. I am sure there are other brands as well. I would choose the one that fit my feet best, which might be a different brand than you choose, and I would use mink oil on the leather.

I personally use Wolverine in the dry season (mink oil), Xtra toughs in the short shoulder seasons for durability and whatever it was that fit best (silicone spray) in the winter months. Some permuation of Red Irish Setter Dog for the winters, the ones that fit me best with a relative bunch of thinsulate.

If I was still hunting a lot (moose and caribou both occur in the wet autumn season here) I would likely spring for more Boggs knowing they would last 1-2 years for the long distance comfort, rather than Xtratoughs that can last 3-5 years.

If you go with full waterproof, plan on a PEET dryer to hang them on for the overnights. Getting neoprene boot lining dry without PEET is a problem.

Blog Entries
    Justin SE4660. It’s a cowboy style with a rubber sole. I love these enough that I bought a second pair for dress use. I love the saddle vamp because often I use my feet to support stuff, and I can rest things on the saddle vamp and it protects my foot. They are fine wading through puddles. I always add mink oil or other protectant to boots to add to the waterproofness.

I used to make fun of rubber sole cowboy boots, but unless you’re riding horses all day, they make sense.

* always fit a cowboy boot to slip a little in the heel when new. It will tighten in the heel as you stretch the width when you wear the boot.

2CCB6E26-FBCA-4855-A38B-D7239232A668.jpg