Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Harvey G-700 dust collector review (sorta) after 3 months of use - long winded

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    I do shut it all at night, just out of habit of trying to kill power to as many background electronics as possible. My neighbor for a while was a power electronics consultant and did legal consulting. Was constantly testifying on electronics design after something had burned down (toasters in particular he encourages to unplug each time - but felt if was general good practice to unplug any appliance when not in use)

I spent a year working on a customer's house due to a toaster left plugged in. No one died, it was just the house that got toasted. It was an early 19th century post and beam house in a town center. The kitchen got going pretty well, and there was structural work to do up two floors. The only salvageable interior work was a lot of doors. Everything else was replaced.

I can't comment on the Harvey per se, but I can say that nearly all electronics draw SOME power even when "turned off". TV's, computers, phone chargers, etc. will have a small power draw when off. It's what lets it look for IR signals from your remote or, in some cases, network power-on signals sent via ethernet lines.

I would hazard a guess that the Harvey leaves its main electronics turned on and its internal VFD powered up but with the output disabled until you actually unplug it or otherwise break power to the system. (I don't know what the power switch looks like there; if it's heavy duty it's probably an actual cutoff. If it's pretty small it's either a control line for a contactor which is basically the same thing as a heavy switch, or a microcontroller button that signals the VFD to shut down).