Thread: Has anybody here worked with SPC ridgid core flooring?

Has anybody here worked with SPC ridgid core flooring?

SPC: Stone plastic Composite. It's about 1/2" thick and very dense and stiff.

Just wondering what you used to cut it with? Manufacturer (Cortec) recommends masonry blades, which to me means diamond blades, is that the way to go? Wondering if standard carbide blades will work (Knowing the blade will be useless for anything else afterwards) or maybe blades intended for fiber cement? In any case I'll be using a portable circ saw as the tool, and sabre saw where needed. Tiles are 18 x 24.

Sorta woodworking related...sorta not...
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Great timing... I have some of this coming in next week as well. Hopefully someone here has some good advice. I haven't checked Youtube yet but I bet there are some good vids out there.

Freud (Diablo) makes a 7 1/4" blade for fiber cement, for instance Hardiplank. Costs like $20, and does not have diamond. If you use a circular saw to cut stone, be sure to wear good lung protection. Silicosis is not a nice way to die. Using a battery-powered saw with an assistant spraying water keeps the dust down.

I recently installed 2800 sf of Flooret Modin spc rigid plank flooring. I used a Freud carbide blade for Trex decking for ripping on the table saw. I used an ordinary carbide blade on my cutoff saw. I started with regular steel blades for the scroll saw but quickly wore them out and switched to Bosch carbide blades.

Yes, I have used a wet saw to cut. I think a good carbide would work fine too, but we had the tile saw set up already. Pause though, why that product? In my opinion, it has no pros over other products and several cons. Real tile and vinyl plank are superior in there particular applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Yes, I have used a wet saw to cut. I think a good carbide would work fine too, but we had the tile saw set up already. Pause though, why that product? In my opinion, it has no pros over other products and several cons. Real tile and vinyl plank are superior in there particular applications.
    Good to know the wet saw will work, thanks.

Real tile requires a stiffer subfloor than I have or could have without lots more work, not to mention the extra installation labor. Typical vinyl plank is no where near as durable or as water resistant as the Cortec SPC product, and I tested samples from many of the major brands. SPC vinyl plank would be fine but we want the stone pattern which is not available in SPC plank, at least not from Cortec.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Good to know the wet saw will work, thanks.

Real tile requires a stiffer subfloor than I have or could have without lots more work, not to mention the extra installation labor. Typical vinyl plank is no where near as durable or as water resistant as the Cortec SPC product, and I tested samples from many of the major brands. SPC vinyl plank would be fine but we want the stone pattern which is not available in SPC plank, at least not from Cortec.
    This was a Shaw product. It looked good, we were cautioned that the "grout" would probably need reapplied periodically. The customer was determined to try it though so we did. It's still going fine and they are happy, so it was the right product for them too. There may be a little difference between the manufacturers, but it processed really easily. If fact some traditional tile accent sheets use bits of it in the pattern.