Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bearing sources

Bearing sources

I bought some SKF bearings for an ebike motor on Amazon and found out they are counterfeit. The packaging and bearings look perfect but I submitted pictures to SKF and they said counterfeit. It seems that all reputable bearing companies don’t allow their bearings to be sold on Amazon or eBay etc. Counterfeiting is rampant. Where do you buy your bearings?

The local bearing supplier in my city for the good stuff. General bearings from VXB. But right now it's anyone that has them in stock.

Accurate Bearing is my go to for most bearings especially odd and hard to source bearings. Otherwise amazon, Fastenal, eBay.

mcmaster-carr

I worry about eBay and amazon for stuff like this.

Nachi is an excellent brand.
    Brian

The last bearings I bought from https://www.motionindustries.com/ we’re very good and legitimate.
    Aj

I buy all my bearings locally. Motion Canada in Lethbridge or a small farm supply in Taber that sells NTN or Will get me SKF if I want them. I have had real good results with NTN. But sometimes will use SKF if what I am working on is more work to fix. No bearings from online sources for me.

When I was restoring my machinery, I called Lynne at Accurate bearing.
    https://www.accuratebearing.com/
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Fastenal is my first choice. Their store is three miles from my house. If they don't have what I want in stock, usually it's there by 7:30 AM the next day

I bought some SKF bearings for an ebike motor on Amazon and found out they are counterfeit.
    Was this thru an Amazon seller?

I've also used Motion Industries
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

Amazon seller RDV bearings. Packaging and bearings look perfect.
    SKF says the counterfeits have better looking letters and numbers on the side of the bearing than the legit ones. The metal was extremely hard, can’t scratch with a razor blade. They say the worse counterfeits can be scratched.

Def trust Motion Industries. We have a Motion supply house local to us. My profession is maintenance for a scientific laboratory, mouse production facility with lots of spinning equipment. We use Motion for all of our bearing needs therefore I use them for my personal needs. When I can get them I use SKF brand but often resort to FAG. Both brands are highly respected and would use them interchangeably.

I'm not sure if there's much you can do. Even the best sellers have been fooled. In the past the packaging would give it away but now the fake bearings have the same holographic logos on them. My best advice is to buy a brand that's high quality but not a large company like SKF. I would think that a Chinese company isn't going to spend the time needed to counterfeit a brand that sells in small quantities.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    The last bearings I bought from https://www.motionindustries.com/ we’re very good and legitimate.
    ^another +1. Or, try Bearings Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    When I was restoring my machinery, I called Lynne at Accurate bearing.
    https://www.accuratebearing.com/
    Myk, just a heads up but Lynn retired about a year ago. I believe Jennifer took over the OWWM group.