Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ford Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martinn View Post
    For people that live in SNOW COUNTRY !!! , Will this new electric truck be able to hook up a snow plow to it, and plow out a driveway ? There have been many years where we get heavy Lake Effect snow with blowing and drifts 4 feet or more in height. Is that electric truck going to plow through that ?
    EVs have gobs of low-end torque. It's more a question of traction, which would be true for any pickup. Mind you, I'm comparing the question of EV vs ICE F150: I have no idea how well a 'normal' F150 works as a snow-plow.

(And if your usage profile actually requires something F250/F350-sized, why would you care?)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

A few years ago at Yosemite National park I noticed a charging station in the parking lot behind the fancy hotel. I doubt many cars could get up the hill in winter with the heat on without charging before heading down the hill to the nearest charging station
    Bill D.

I would assume a pickup with a extra ton of batteries would have better snow traction then a ice version. I do not know the ford's battery weight but tesla is about 2,000 pounds

Blog Entries
    Most real work trucks are regular cab or super cab if they are F-150s, or if crew cab they use an F-250 or F-350 for the larger bed capacity.
    One nice thing about a crew cab is the back seats can be folded up if items need to be stored inside the vehicle.

For me a short bed is next to useless. For some people it may be all they need.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    One nice thing about a crew cab is the back seats can be folded up if items need to be stored inside the vehicle.
    Exactly, and if you see the picture on the website of the man loading suitcases in the trunk (which I guess is what you call the area where an engine used to reside) this thing has a ton of storage. I spent quite a bit of time looking at the site today and this truck is really nice. I hope it can live up to the 300 mile range.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martinn View Post
    For people that live in SNOW COUNTRY !!! , Will this new electric truck be able to hook up a snow plow to it, and plow out a driveway ? There have been many years where we get heavy Lake Effect snow with blowing and drifts 4 feet or more in height. Is that electric truck going to plow through that ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    EVs have gobs of low-end torque...
    No clue on the new Ford but the new Hummer EV's can be had with up to 11,500# of torque... that should push some snow!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Again, how many fleets use crew cab short bed half ton pickups? That is the only model of the "Pro" lineup right now is a crew cab that has a short bed. Sure, some fleets use these, but a true fleet vehicle is rarely an F-150 with crew cab. I see large utility and construction company pickups on the road quite often, but a lot of them are F-250 or F-350. These same companies will often have some F-150s for certain uses, but usually regular cab or super cab.

Auto manufacturers will likely sell a lot of electric vehicles to fleets once they offer more than a family SUV with a short cargo bed and start building the kind of pickups that fleets use.
    I see plenty of them around here. Imagine it's a regional variation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Exactly, and if you see the picture on the website of the man loading suitcases in the trunk (which I guess is what you call the area where an engine used to reside) this thing has a ton of storage. I spent quite a bit of time looking at the site today and this truck is really nice. I hope it can live up to the 300 mile range.
    Remember about those range claims:

1. They're usually a "best case" meaning that nothing else (like the air conditioner) is running.
    2. You really can't run the battery all the way down - Just like with a gasoline car, you need to find a place to fill up before it's totally empty.
    3. Over time, the battery capacity decreases.

So, your usable range is maybe 75% of specified when the vehicle is new, and maybe 65% after it ages a bit (that is, how far you can reasonably go before recharging).

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 10-08-2021 at 8:46 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    One thing noticed on a recent drive down to California is some of the rest stops on I-5 had two or three charging stations.

Most real work trucks are regular cab or super cab if they are F-150s, or if crew cab they use an F-250 or F-350 for the larger bed capacity.
    What surprised me a few days ago while shopping was a Ford F-450 parked next to me. Looking it up online it appears it is a 1-1/2 ton truck.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

When it comes to fleet trucks other issues have to be dealt with. Like a company is going to have to pay an employee to sit around waiting for a EV to charge if they use more than it's range. My first job was delivering glass with a 1/2 ton GMC. There never was a lot of glass but I crossed several states and usually went through 2+ tanks of gas. Often it would take me 10 to 12 hours. Adding an extra hour or so each trip would add up.

I am going the other way, and backing away from full size pickups. I have always had a pickup for towing or carrying an RV...since 1968, and an El Camino before that. I sold the last boat, 5th wheel /camper, dune buggy/Jeep I will ever own. My current F250 diesel is in the process of being sold to a grandson.

I still want a pickup and the new breed of mini truck, like the Ford Maverick, will now suit me for the Home Depot runs, and occasional furniture/tool hauling.

Since I also have a lot of solar at home, I will wait until they make a mini truck that is preferably a plug in hybrid, or a full battery powered model. I suspect Ford will have this type available on the Maverick in a year or two. Maybe Honda Ridgeline will too. Meantime we have two small plug in hybrid SUV's that are six and seven years old.

They have lost very little range, and at least 75% of the mileage has been on electric, even though they have been on several two thousand mile trips. We gas them up every 3-4 months, unless we take a trip.

Everyone's need is different, and in my case I will only buy a vehicle with a plug, if possible.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Rick, that's not a bad way to go. I bought a small 5x8 flatbed utility trailer years go when I sold the pickup in favor of a midsize SUV for family reasons after we adopted our girls. That trailer has handled all the hard tasks and big things that couldn't fit in the various SUVs I've been driving. I can put a 10' stick or three into my Subaru Ascent up the middle, but if I need a lot of material or big stuff like sheet goods, the trailer gets the nod. It's also been getting a lot of work since our move, both for physically moving machinery and materials, but also with the back and forth to the other property to mow with my ZTR. A small pickup like you describe would be a similar setup for "as is" hauling with the ability, if you choose, to have a small trailer to get bigger stuff every once in awhile. EVs and Hybrids haul just fine...they have wonderful low end torque. Towing limits may be lower, but it sounds like RVing isn't part of your deal anymore .
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    One possibility that excites me about the Lightning is that there’s an add on generator that mounts like those truck bed tool boxes. It occurs to me that if Ford makes that thing easy to install and remove, owners could rent a generator for the occasional long trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    One possibility that excites me about the Lightning is that there’s an add on generator that mounts like those truck bed tool boxes. It occurs to me that if Ford makes that thing easy to install and remove, owners could rent a generator for the occasional long trip.
    Kind of depends on your definition of "easy to install and remove". To be useful, 10KW is about the minimum (probably more like 2X-3X that), which makes humping the generator in/out of the bed something you really don't want to do too often.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Kind of depends on your definition of "easy to install and remove". To be useful, 10KW is about the minimum (probably more like 2X-3X that), which makes humping the generator in/out of the bed something you really don't want to do too often.
    According to some web sites I found, at 70 mph, an EV uses about 0.25 KWh per hour. So a 10 KW generator will put about 40 miles into the battery in an hour. If you're driving 70 mph, you'll have to take the other 30 miles out of the vehicle battery. You'd need about an 18 KW generator to keep up with driving 70 mph.

But using a 10 KW generator is not unreasonable. You'd be pulling about 7.5KWh per hour from the main battery. If you had a 75KWh battery, that would give you 10 hours of driving before you'd be empty. At 70 mph, that's 750 miles.

Based on these assumptions, a 75 KWh battery would give a range of 300 miles without the generator.

Mike

[Some web sites quote a slightly larger figure for the KWH per mile at 70 mph. One I saw was a bit over 0.30 KWh per mile at 70 mph. You can calculate the numbers with your choice of KWh per mile.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 10-09-2021 at 8:04 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.