Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ford Lightning

Ford Lightning

Having put $75 worth of gas in the pick-up yesterday and it being CA with likely the highest price gas in the US, I came home and looked at some U-tubes on Ford’s new electric PU. My needs are pretty modest from a hauling standpoint and I am really intrigued by this thing. With my solar system I can charge it. Thoughts?

I just heard an article on the news that Ford is building a new plant just for the Ford lightning. Will cost something like $20 billion or something, and the first new plant in 30 years. So they’re investing heavily in the truck.

If I needed a truck I would definitely consider it. My wife’s next vehicle will hopefully be an electric SUV.

I wish I could fill my truck up for $75. At least, I only need to fill it up every 900 miles. 56 gallon aftermarket tank, for diesel.

Back when diesel was 4 bucks a gallon, it took a little over $200 at one fillup.

I hope it lasts long enough that I can replace it with a 1 ton electric.

I think that you will do well to consider it, honestly. Ford is doing a nice job that that design, I think and they will be bringing a ton of jobs to the market with their stated plans.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'd like one too, but I'm not buying the first generation. Let someone else work out the bugs.

I think the idea and basic designs are nice (we test drove the Mach E a couple weeks ago; it's very nice and will appeal to people who like a traditional feeling and driving car-- though for me the Tesla 3/Y beat it in every category, by a lot, plus the Tesla is made in the USA, unlike the "Mustang"). I'll be putting in an order for an electric vehicle as soon as the rebate situation clarifies. I fully expect Ford will make a truck that appeals to Ford truck buyers.

I will have no interest in the Lightning, or any other electric pickup, until I can get it with an 8 ft bed and without the crew cab. i honestly have no idea what those little truck beds are good for -- I use my truck to haul stuff, not people. Apparently I am in a small minority, so I'm not holding my breath for that option to appear.

Better get your order in. I see that Ford has 130,000 orders for the Lightning already. Of course, some of those orders will fall out but it'll take a while to get a vehicle.

I think the deposit is only $100. Just think, they received $13 million just for announcing the truck.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    I will have no interest in the Lightning, or any other electric pickup, until I can get it with an 8 ft bed and without the crew cab. i honestly have no idea what those little truck beds are good for -- I use my truck to haul stuff, not people.
    In my case a crew cab was chosen since we occasionally have to haul people. Also an 8 ft bed was wanted for hauling things other than people.

It is a bit of a pain to park at times since it is 22 ft long.

Crew cab pick up trucks appear to be the new family car in many areas.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

It really comes down to what you need a truck for. If you don't tow or take long trips I can see this as a very viable option. Plus if you have solar panels and the truck will be home during the day you can take full advantage of it's batteries. Not only charging while the sun is out but I thought I read where you can use the batteries to power your house. If so you can power your house in the evening if you know you aren't going to use the truck the next day.

I on occasion tow my tractor about 100 miles and back. There's no option to charge and with the hills around here I'm not sure if the range is there. With the brakes on the trailer doing most of the stopping work I suspect it'll reduce the range as well. I'll wait until the RV crowd start buying them and see what they think. Both the F150 and Tundra are suppose to have hybrids coming out that sound interesting.

I volunteer at a food bank and we have about a half dozen guys with pickups who help with deliveries. Every one is a crew cab and most have the cargo cover (not cap) which restricts cargo volume. I think my Murano can carry as much as most of them.

I understand it is only made as a four door with a short bed. Maybe five foot bed? I would consider a station wagon for longer stuff.
    Get the optional generator and the usable bed drops to three feet!
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 10-07-2021 at 5:22 PM.

The whole crew-cab/short-bed thing might be due to battery capacity, i.e. not wanting the main battery extending under the bed.

Having seen the number of truck beds with holes drilled to install aftermarket work accessories (not to mention incidental abuse), they might have a point.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Crew cab and shorter bed is what sells to the masses these days...and for an EV, it provides a more protected battery space as someone eluded to because of the cab size. Very few folks these days want an 8' pickup bed and most that do are contractors or other folks who use their pickups as work trucks. That's not the mass market these days and early EV is going to focus on the larger market initially for sure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ford seems to be catering to the people who use a pickup as a family vehicle rather than the people who use pickups as a work tool for this first generation of electric pickup. I suspect a lot of fleets and companies with work pickups aren't yet comfortable with an electric vehicle. It could get expensive to add electric chargers if you have a lot full of pickups that need to be charged. If an employer sends a pickup home with workers how is the pickup going to be charged? A lot of work pickups sit outside at employee's homes so that makes it even more complicated to charge them.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Ford seems to be catering to the people who use a pickup as a family vehicle rather than the people who use pickups as a work tool for this first generation of electric pickup. I suspect a lot of fleets and companies with work pickups aren't yet comfortable with an electric vehicle. It could get expensive to add electric chargers if you have a lot full of pickups that need to be charged. If an employer sends a pickup home with workers how is the pickup going to be charged? A lot of work pickups sit outside at employee's homes so that makes it even more complicated to charge them.
    People who have to park on the street have to use charging stations. But that brings up another question - is the employee going to be paid for the hour, or so, spent at the charging station?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.