Thread: Conver 12" disc sander to 9"

Conver 12" disc sander to 9"

I'm a retired custom furniture builder. One of the "must haves" in a furniture builder's shop is a 12" vertical sanding disc. I now make knives and most knife makers use either a 2x72" belt grinder or a 9" disc sander. The choice of 9" for disc sanders is due to the cost of the paper. Most use 9x12 sheets and cut them to fit 9" sanders. I know the disc can be replaced with a 9", but is there any reason this would be a bad modification to a 12" sander. Should I just sell this sander and buy and 9" for the knife work?
    Chris

Keep in mind that the speed the tool is designed to run at is tailored to the disc size...so "downsizing" the disk is going to offer a different range of speeds across it. The workpiece supports are also designed for the larger disc. Personally, I'd get a machine that's more ideal for your purpose than try to modify a unit that's designed the way it is functionally. BTW, I've built a lot of furniture and never felt the need for a large disc sander, but I know some folks really like them; some covet the even larger 20" industrial machines for this purpose.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for your thoughts. Believe, me if I could have afforded a 20" and the paper for it, I'd have had one. Extremely useful tool. But that's all history. Hadn't thought about the "rpm" difference. Problem is a dedicated knife maker's 9" disc sander can run upwards of $1,200. Not ready for that kind of cash outlay right now.
    Chris

Buy a cheap old wood lathe big enough for a 9" faceplate. Probably on old Craftsman tube lathe for $50 or less will get you going. You could even remove the tube ways and just use the headstock and motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Buy a cheap old wood lathe big enough for a 9" faceplate. Probably on old Craftsman tube lathe for $50 or less will get you going. You could even remove the tube ways and just use the headstock and motor.
    Hmmmmmmmm..................would never have even given that a thought. Good idea, thanks.
    Chris

Can you just stick a 9" disk onto the 12" platter? Though I've used smaller stationary disk sanders, I've never actually wanted one to be smaller!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Christenberry View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts. Believe, me if I could have afforded a 20" and the paper for it, I'd have had one. Extremely useful tool. But that's all history. Hadn't thought about the "rpm" difference. Problem is a dedicated knife maker's 9" disc sander can run upwards of $1,200. Not ready for that kind of cash outlay right now.
    I have 2 20" discs for my wood lathe, one for 120 and the other for 180 grit. It has VFD to control the speed and it's a great set up. I did have to make a table for it (I found an old craftsman table saw for free with a cast iron table that I used). Smaller wood lathes aren't usually too hard to find and usually offer some sort of speed control. Maybe one speed is fine for a knife but for wood I'm always adjusting the speed depending on how much material I need to remove.

I used a 8: machined face plate with a 20" aluminum disc bolted to it. I don't know if anyone makes a 9" face plate for a lathe. I'm sure a 6" would work just fine with a 9" aluminum disc mounted to it.