Thread: Can’t find a contractor for specialized job

Can’t find a contractor for specialized job

IÂ’ve been searching unsuccessfully for a professional to apply a coating to my 100+ year old standing seam metal roof. The only company I found familiar with this job is a painter who, currently, does not have the manpower to undertake the job. The product IÂ’ve used in the past is Acrymax, distributed by Preservation Products in Media, PA. ItÂ’s designed for historic preservation. IÂ’m waiting to hear back from the manufacturer for a contractor recommendation in my area but, surprisingly, the representative did not seem very confident in being able to provide me a recommendation. This week IÂ’ll be knocking on doors in my town of the few houses that have the same style roof that look to have been recently coated. Does anyone know of an avenue I can go down in finding some one for this? Is there a better search tool than google for something this specific? IÂ’ve called numerous roofers and painters, and no one is familiar with this work.

Blog Entries
    Preservation Products in Media, PA. ItÂ’s designed for historic preservation.
    You might try looking for historical societies in your area.

Look for similar buildings that have been preserved and ask if their owners could direct you to a contractor.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Most commercial roofing companies are familiar with applying coatings, getting the correct mil thickness etc. Your job may be too small for the larger outfits. Assuming it requires multiple coats on consecutive days (many of the better coatings do) you may not be able to get it done this year. Most contractors in our area are booked 'til the snow flies. If you find one that is available, make sure to vet them very, very carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    Most commercial roofing companies are familiar with applying coatings, getting the correct mil thickness etc. Your job may be too small for the larger outfits. Assuming it requires multiple coats on consecutive days (many of the better coatings do) you may not be able to get it done this year. Most contractors in our area are booked 'til the snow flies. If you find one that is available, make sure to vet them very, very carefully.
    What Lisa says about if you find a contractor that's available. Get references and verify them. Even in the spring when trying to line up a couple different contractors they both said there was little or no chance they would be able to do anything this year. That was in April. Other contractors looked at the work but never returned bids. All the reputable contractors are covered up with work. Many are struggling to get help as well which only adds to the back log.