Thread: MDF Assembly Table Top Finish

MDF Assembly Table Top Finish

I just finished up an assembly table I made with an MDF top surrounded by cherry. I grabbed some finishes I had around and mixed wiping poly, BLO, and mineral spirits equally and applied 3 coats with a wide foam brush. I waited 24 hours between coats but did not sand between coats.

Overall I am happy with the finish on the cherry but the MDF looks streaky if that is a technical term, I think the pics will describe it better.

What can I do to have the MDF even out a bit? Thanks in advance.

IMG_20211006_131900684.jpg

IMG_20211006_131919080.jpg
    Last edited by Julio Vargas; 10-06-2021 at 2:11 PM.

I think you need a sanding sealer for MDF. I used Arm R Seal on an MDF top I just did and it seems to have left a good finish on unsealed MDF. At this point I would hit it lightly with high grit and put one more coat on.

Also from what I read on blending poly start heavier with the poly and gradually reduce it to level everything out.

MDF has minor color variations in it just like many materials and they are brought out by that first coat of finish when you apply it. Honestly, just get the surface to feel the way your want it because over time, you'll be dealing with scratches, etc., which will also be visible.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    MDF has minor color variations in it just like many materials and they are brought out by that first coat of finish when you apply it. Honestly, just get the surface to feel the way your want it because over time, you'll be dealing with scratches, etc., which will also be visible.
    Sounds good, I will probably hit it with some paste wax too which and maybe that will evennthings out.

Be careful with wax. It can affect your subsequent finishing processes on your projects if it gets rubbed into the wood of said projects. The biggest reason to have a film finish on an assembly table is to reduce glue stick.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I wouldn't put paste wax on it unless you want stuff sliding off onto the floor. As for any color variation, is that really important for shop furniture? Actually, I would skin what you have with a piece of 1/4" tempered Masonite or MDF, wipe on a coat or two of Danish Oil, and replace it when it gets all dinged and painted up. I've been doing that on my bench for 25 years. Every time I replace the Masonite it's like getting a new bench again.

John

I like the bench covered with plastic drop cloth, or blanket as much as possible. Worked with old timers who would always carefully use
    card scraper on the bench before putting a just-made table top face down. They would always miss a bit of grit or glob of glue. Then cuss for for a couple
    of minutes when they saw they had missed something.