Thread: Wood Smells Bad

Wood Smells Bad

I picked up several beams from a 100 year old home renovation. I placed them in my shop before I went on vacation. 3 weeks later the basement smelled poorly. I thought there was a dead rodent somewhere. Eventually I discovered the odor was coming from the beams. I put the beams outside and used a fan to vent out the area. The smell went away.

Any suggestions on how to eliminate the smell from the wood would be appreciated. I planned on using the beams in several furniture projects.

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Any idea what type of wood the beams are?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Shellac does wonders to seal in both stains and smells.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Do you know from where in the house the beams were harvested? Could provide a clue as to source of the odor.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

As mentioned, could be the wood species, but that usually fades with age. More likely it's mold. I'd suggest taking a light pass with a power hand plane while outside and then leave in the direct sunlight as a start. Be sure to wear a quality mask if there might be black mold.

Was the house a converted barn?

I have had success getting rid of mold and essence of mouse nest with an ozone machine. The O3 (Ozone) it produces oxidizes, or burns, biological materials. Someone that knows chemistry can explain this better.

Ozone will burn your lungs. It's important to follow the directions and make sure no people or pets are exposed to Ozone. The machines have a timer, so they shut themselves off. I wait a day before entering a room where the O3 machine has been running.

I don't know how to Ozone a beam. If it were smaller, it could go into a tent with the machine.

I bet it was Douglas fir.
    Aj

I suspect any type of finish will eliminate the odors.

If it is because of the species u may have to live with it during your build.

One of our local hardwoods (samaan) smells like a wet dog when it is being worked. No odors when left alone or after finish is applied.

MK