Thread: Brush-on lacquer over spray lacquer finish?

Brush-on lacquer over spray lacquer finish?

I just finished attaching a small (14x16" + two trim pieces) white oak countertop for my old "dry sink" cabinet in the bathroom. Before moving the top into the bathroom and attaching it, I stained it with oil-based stain, then applied three coats of spray lacquer, per instructions. There was no room to attach the oak top from underneath, so I attached it to the cabinet using countersunk finish nails, then filled and stained the nail holes. I want to add one more coat of lacquer to protect the filler. The question: Can I use a brush-on lacquer over the spray-on lacquer finish? (I don't want to use spray lacquer in the bathroom.) Or would you recommend another product for the final coat?

I would apply your spray lacquer with an artist's brush just to the filled nail holes. If you used rattle can lacquer spray it into the cap and dip your brush into that.

John

That's a great idea that I never thought of, and it's exactly what I'll do, thanks!

For your information, I very recently applied brushed polycrylic over sprayed on polycrylic and it worked just fine.
    Both were MinWax
    So go right ahead.
    Cheers,

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Janssen View Post
    For your information, I very recently applied brushed polycrylic over sprayed on polycrylic and it worked just fine.
    Both were MinWax
    So go right ahead.
    Cheers,

Tim
    Lacquer is a different animal...

----

Cynthia, just be sure you have really, really good ventilation going when you do this touchup work in your home with the lacquer. The solvents can be dangerous. I do agree with the method that John mentions and you also maintain compatibility. Mixing lacquer brands isn't necessarily the best thing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I've used brush on lacquer a couple of times, but probably never will again. I just couldn't lay down an even coat because it flashed too quickly. The idea of doing each nail hole with a small brush is a winner. I've done that before & it worked very well.