Thread: Porter Cable 444 Contour Sander

Porter Cable 444 Contour Sander

Does anyone know anything about this tool? I ran across it on ebay. There are a whole bunch for sale on ebay. I’m wondering if people are getting rid of them because they rarely get used and they take up space? Any info will be helpful.
    Wood working is like a vicious cycle. The more tools you buy the more you find to buy.

Have one seldom use it. Anyone want to come by I’ll give it to you.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I have one. It is a limited use tool but occasionally it is just what is needed. Best accessories are the black rubber contour sanding forms. You can almost always find a shape to smooth a place on a router cut molding, even if you use your hand rather than the tool to power it.

As noted above, they don't get used often. I haven't used mine in several years.
    On the flip side, they don't take up much space, and it's nice to have when you need it.
    JMO
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Echo the others, picked one up and use it for certain molding work. Nice case that sits on the shelf otherwise.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    Have one seldom use it. Anyone want to come by I’ll give it to you.
    It’s gone. Nice to meet you Bill.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    It’s gone. Nice to meet you Bill.
    Thank you Steve.
    Wood working is like a vicious cycle. The more tools you buy the more you find to buy.

I have three similar products, attachments really, for oscillating tools, so my comments are not specifically for the O-C product.

I concur with Thomas that the rubber contour blocks are the most useful part -- very useful -- but they can be purchased in sets by themselves for much less.

My experience has been that the sandpaper clamping or velcro mechanisms are quite fussy and require more time fiddling than simply hand sanding. Our fingers are much more adept at clamping to a variety of suzes abd profiles than some mechanism.