Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 11

Windows 11

Anybody download and install Windows 11? If so, what do you think of it?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

you mean there is something higher than Windows 98?

I'm still waiting for Windows 9

think there was a leap year

Probably sucks worse than Win10
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I'm watching this tread. I got the prompt last night and couldn't believe it. I recently changed from Windows Seven and struggle with Windows Ten.

I won't be using it. I have 4 computers that have never been connected to the internet and they run blazing fast like new and they have never hung up or crashed.
    Rumor has it it requires you to be connected to the internet and reconnect to stay running similar to MS Office. So, if you buy a new laptop with Windows 10, you never need access to the internet to install and use for the life of the laptop. If you buy a laptop with Windows 11 and you don't have or ever want it to connect to the internet, you have a door stop.
    There are a number of articles on the I.T. website www dot theregister dot com. They have good articles on IT related stuff that have been reading for decades.
    Last edited by Rob Damon; 10-06-2021 at 9:31 AM.

I have not yet downloaded it to my VM but did setup Parallels 17 to be compatible with Win11. Win11 requires a boot security chip setup which is why it's not going to work on some older machines ... anything with "traditional BiOS" is toast for example. I'm holding off briefly in upgrading my primary Win10 VM to Win11, but I may setup a dedicated Win11 VM to play with it. There's nothing radically different...Win11 is an iterative upgrade to Win10. The UI is a lot more Mac-like including the dock at the bottom, center and the ability to setup multiple screen/application profiles which allows, for example, one arrangement for "day work" and another for "personal endeavors" outside of the work day. My only hesitation for diving right in is just being sure that the one application I use on Windows (Vectric's Aspire) has had a little experience on the public release of Win11. That's for my VM. For my CNC controller, it will likely stay on Win10 for the foreseeable future because I would need to know that the WinCNC hardware and software had been fully vetted on Win11 before transitioning. There's no really need for that given the more dedicated use of the only dedicated Window computer I own)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am on Win11 and have been using it for several weeks. It is seems more stable, smoother operation and laid out much more user friendly. To date I haven't found any compatibility issues with applications. Microsoft is still tweaking and I receive a revision update every couple weeks, none of which have created issue.

3 of my 8 running computers are XP's, and way back when I swore I'd never change-- However, doing my own taxes & such forced me into moving on to Win7- and I must say 7's improvements over XP are great, at least those I like --like the fact that no matter the folder you just closed, it'll open the same way (as in, newest files first, or alphabetically, etc), the better file-access system in general (lots more default files when opening), and the folder search is wonderful. BUT, when it comes to stability, XP is the hands-down champion. All 3 of my XP's never get shut down unless the power goes out. And they never 'change their attitude', they operate today just like they did last April. My win7's on the other hand, for some reason just get slower and slower and slower and slower as the day progresses. Don't know if memory is leaking or what's going on. 'Pro' computer guys look at this thing (a Dell Precision T5400, 2 Xeon processors, 8 cores, 32g ram, SSD) and after an hour tell me 'it's working great!" --So then, why is it that 10 hours into day two of no reboot does it take 20 seconds for a 3k Corel file to load off the SSD? I'm surprised the words "(not responding)" aren't etched into the screen... And even after I close all running programs, kill any services I don't need at the moment, and run my 'memory dump' program for good measure, I can't even watch a video without it breaking up into rapid on/off chunks. In case any cares to watch a demo: https://youtu.be/rzIfJFU74zs

I have a laptop with Win10 on it, ONLY because I can't run TurboTax without it. This laptop so ridiculously slow it's totally useless to me for anything else...

Having said all that-- I'm seriously hoping that, just possibly, Win11 will be to 10 and 8 what XP was to 95 and 98, or at least act somewhat like 7 does. But I'm not holding my breath...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Remember when Win 3 was the thing? A cleansing of Win 1 and 2.
    All the odd numbered versions seem to be the most stable. 5 was skipped for Vista and some other mess MS invented.
    Then 7 came out, and it works. Win 8. What can I say. It's an even number.
    Windows 9 never came out because it was too good. MS buried it because updates would never be needed. It runs smooth on any machine, forever.
    Win 10 gets some serious complaints, but it's an even number.
    Now Win 11 is coming out. It's an odd numbered version. What can go wrong?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

i usually wait 6 months before adopting any new release. Even if they are windows 10 H1 type of releases. Gives everyone else a chance to work the bugs out first.

I will likely upgrade in the near future to 11. I've been happy with 10 however and they say 11 is more user friendly than 10. I forgot about Windows 8. It wasn't around to long. I had an 8 year old laptop that was sluggish in everyway. I purchased a new laptop a couple months ago and it's very quick. Boots up in 15-20 seconds. Regardless of whether one likes Windows or not it's what the world runs on.

I've been running Windows 10 for so long that I barely remember Windows 7 anymore. It just runs. My personal laptop is ten years old now and Windows 10 runs just fine on it (I put an early SSD in the laptop when I bought it.). My only issue with Windows 10 is all the stupid crap Microsoft adds to it that needs to be removed.

Now, I am running only the Pro or Enterprise versions of Windows 10. Every time I touch a Windows 10 PC running the Home version it almost feels like a different OS.

I downloaded Win10 only because H&R Block tax software required it. The computer running Win10 must be rebooted about every other day or it is slower than 1 cylinder VW. The computer it is runningg on is only five years old. Glad I didn't down load it to my laptop.

My impression of Win10 is it stinks worse than a backed up sewer.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.