Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 133

Thread: Windows 11

  1. #106
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,273
    Well I just bought a new desk top computer 2 days ago because my old one got messed up by me. I was running windows XP and loved it. But my wireless mouse locked up and it has happened before and I went to reboot tower and you need to hold for a few seconds and my finger slipped off and must have cause to reboot in the middle and corrupted things. Could not fix. The sad thing is I lost all my photos and info stored on that computer. I had over time used a device called Clickfree to back up my stuff. I tried installing that on the old computer and it must have corrupted it also because the device lost all files. So lost all. Tried to have hard drive downloaded but was told it does not spin so that is a total loss.

    This computer is loaded with Windows 10 and it is a different learning experience now.Yes it is much faster and had the option to upgrade to 11 but guy said to wait and play with this one. The one thing I miss is my old computer I had original version of Picture It on it and ran all my photos through it to fix and store. Microsoft sold that off and I am leary about downloading a third party version of it. Has anyone done that and what do you think? Did microsoft replace with a different version and if so is there a free download and what do you think of it? Thanks.
    John T.

  2. #107
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Villa Park. CA
    Posts
    12,490
    Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    Well I just bought a new desk top computer 2 days ago because my old one got messed up by me. I was running windows XP and loved it. But my wireless mouse locked up and it has happened before and I went to reboot tower and you need to hold for a few seconds and my finger slipped off and must have cause to reboot in the middle and corrupted things. Could not fix. The sad thing is I lost all my photos and info stored on that computer. I had over time used a device called Clickfree to back up my stuff. I tried installing that on the old computer and it must have corrupted it also because the device lost all files. So lost all. Tried to have hard drive downloaded but was told it does not spin so that is a total loss.

    This computer is loaded with Windows 10 and it is a different learning experience now. Yes it is much faster and had the option to upgrade to 11 but guy said to wait and play with this one. The one thing I miss is my old computer I had original version of Picture It on it and ran all my photos through it to fix and store. Microsoft sold that off and I am leary about downloading a third party version of it. Has anyone done that and what do you think? Did microsoft replace with a different version and if so is there a free download and what do you think of it? Thanks.
    Some advice about backup: There are companies who sell backup. I use Carbonite but there are others which might be cheaper. You install their program on your computer and after that, every file that you want backed up is automatically sent to their server. If you make a change to it, it will automatically be backed up almost immediately. What I mean by immediately is that you don't have to run a backup - their program monitors changes to files that they are asked to backup and the changed file is sent to their server. With Carbonite, the files are encrypted during transmission and storage on their server. One nice thing is that if you're traveling with a different computer, you can access their server and grab the file you need.

    If you had that on your computer, all of your files would be safe on the company's server. A good thing about cloud storage is that if you house burns down, and you lose your computer and local backups, you still have your files.

    Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

  3. #108
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    SE PA - Central Bucks County
    Posts
    59,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    One thing I wish Microsoft would do is to offer an optional update to Windows 10 that converts it to the same UI as Windows 11. That way all my computers would have the same interface - since I can't convert two of them to Windows 11.

    I can live with just about any decent interface. Once I get accustom to Windows 11 it will seem as natural as Windows 10 does today.

    Mike
    I wonder if a third party could "skin" Win10. Not sure if that's as easy as it might have been in earlier times.
    --

    The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

  4. #109
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Some advice about backup: There are companies who sell backup. I use Carbonite but there are others which might be cheaper. You install their program on your computer and after that, every file that you want backed up is automatically sent to their server. If you make a change to it, it will automatically be backed up almost immediately. What I mean by immediately is that you don't have to run a backup - their program monitors changes to files that they are asked to backup and the changed file is sent to their server. With Carbonite, the files are encrypted during transmission and storage on their server. One nice thing is that if you're traveling with a different computer, you can access their server and grab the file you need.

    If you had that on your computer, all of your files would be safe on the company's server. A good thing about cloud storage is that if you house burns down, and you lose your computer and local backups, you still have your files.

    Mike
    All good thoughts. Thanks.
    John T.

  5. #110
    John, if the pics and data on that bad drive are important enough to you, there are some companies that, as I understand it (<dumbutt disclaimer), they can take the platters out of your drive to read them some other way(?), or they may be able to fix your drive to spin again, if only for long enough to transfer the data-

    I had an older 1tb 'My Book' external drive that went bad on me, got ugly noisy and wouldn't work. I emailed one of these places, it could get spendy but there was 15 years of pics, work and personal files on that drive. I kept messing with it and found that OCCASIONALLY it would spin up and work... During one of the 'it's working' times I plugged another 1tb drive the wife got for me into it, lo and behold I was able to transfer everything over. I felt pretty lucky
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle


  6. #111
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Villa Park. CA
    Posts
    12,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I wonder if a third party could "skin" Win10. Not sure if that's as easy as it might have been in earlier times.
    Of course, the easier thing to do would be for Microsoft to allow Windows 11 to run on older computers. They'd just have to bypass the part that requires the trusted platform module. I don't think there's any other special hardware requirement but maybe there is.

    But perhaps this is Microsoft's way of helping the computer manufacturers sell new equipment.

    Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

  7. #112
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    John, if the pics and data on that bad drive are important enough to you, there are some companies that, as I understand it (<dumbutt disclaimer), they can take the platters out of your drive to read them some other way(?), or they may be able to fix your drive to spin again, if only for long enough to transfer the data-

    I had an older 1tb 'My Book' external drive that went bad on me, got ugly noisy and wouldn't work. I emailed one of these places, it could get spendy but there was 15 years of pics, work and personal files on that drive. I kept messing with it and found that OCCASIONALLY it would spin up and work... During one of the 'it's working' times I plugged another 1tb drive the wife got for me into it, lo and behold I was able to transfer everything over. I felt pretty lucky
    I am going to play around with it some. I will order the jumper cables needed. Maybe get lucky.
    John T.

  8. #113
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Anaheim, California
    Posts
    6,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I wonder if a third party could "skin" Win10. Not sure if that's as easy as it might have been in earlier times.
    Pretty sure the answer is to that question is 'yes': there was a utility early on that made Win10 look/feel like Win7. (And I very dimly recall similar things to make 7/Vista look/feel like XP.)

    That said, for me the real question is whether they could skin Win11 to look like Win10.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

  9. #114
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    SE PA - Central Bucks County
    Posts
    59,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Pretty sure the answer is to that question is 'yes': there was a utility early on that made Win10 look/feel like Win7. (And I very dimly recall similar things to make 7/Vista look/feel like XP.)

    That said, for me the real question is whether they could skin Win11 to look like Win10.
    One has to wonder if with Win10 and Win11 if there's enough of a remaining API that it can support "a good skinning".
    --

    The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

  10. #115
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Anaheim, California
    Posts
    6,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    One has to wonder if with Win10 and Win11 if there's enough of a remaining API that it can support "a good skinning".
    A truly frightening amount of that sort of stuff is controlled by registry keys.
    Whether that's a bug or a feature is left to the imagination of the reader.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

  11. #116
    "Classic Shell"-- it's what made my win8.1 usable

    Seems the original Classic Shell went out of development in 2017, and has since been worked on by 'Git Hub', whoever that is... Some googling shows not much action going on...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle


  12. #117
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Doylestown, PA
    Posts
    6,813
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I wonder if a third party could "skin" Win10. Not sure if that's as easy as it might have been in earlier times.
    There are a couple companies that make add-ons to make newer Windows have the same interface as older versions. I don't use Windows much at all so can't say if or how well they work. One is Start10/Start11. The one I remember is Classic Shell but that hasn't been developed since 2017.

  13. #118
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    SE PA - Central Bucks County
    Posts
    59,408
    Yes, skinning has existed for prior versions. I'm just wondering if that kind of adaptation is a lot harder with Win10 and Win11. They got rid of a lot of old stuff in that transition. But I'm not a programmer and I don't play one on YouTube. (TV? What's that? )
    --

    The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

  14. #119
    So there is a hack out there to delete TMP entries in source/appraiserres or something to that effect. Im a new software junkie. enjoy all new. no spare machine... work pc, cant risk being down. Tons are running 11 on fossil machines.
    Sometimes I just want to look at pretty pictures,... Thats when I go to the Turners Forum

  15. #120
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    SE PA - Central Bucks County
    Posts
    59,408
    I went ahead and upgraded my Win10 VM to Win11 today. Very easy process and it seemed to keep all my settings, including default programs...IE Chrome instead of the MS browser. MacOS left monitor, Win11 right monitor. Aspire loaded lickety-split faster than Win10. I have not done much exploring yet, however.

    IMG_0472.jpg
    --

    The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •