Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 11

Kev, interestingly, I had horrible instability with WinXP and Win7 that all went away with Win10. I was constantly having to rebuild them on a variety of machines, both personal and corporate. (that actually is why I switched to MacOS in 2010...) I expect that Win11 will be a continuation of Win10 as I mentioned earlier...a few new features and an improved UI, but nothing major is reinvented with the exception that there is that BiOS requirement that rules out a lot of older machines from running it, even if they have the computing capacity to handle it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Maybe I don't use my computer as hard as others do, but Windows 10 has been very good for me - stable, fast, and the updates go on with no issues.

Looking at the requirements for Windows 11, I'd have to purchase a new computer to run it on my main unit so I'll stick with Windows 10 until I upgrade. My travel computer can be upgraded to Windows 11 but I'll probably stick with Window 10 just so the interfaces are consistent.

Mike

[My main unit is an i7-3720QM which is about 2012 so it's way out of spec for Windows 11. But it runs well so I'm not in a hurry to replace it. Microsoft is going to keep supporting Windows 10 with updates.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 10-07-2021 at 12:50 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Looking at the requirements for Windows 11, I'd have to purchase a new computer to run it on my main unit so I'll stick with Windows 10 until I upgrade. My travel computer can be upgraded to Windows 11 but I'll probably stick with Window 10 just so the interfaces are consistent.
    I was in roughly the same situation: 2020-vintage Dell laptop is ok, but the big desktop I put together in 2019 failed one of the compatibility checks.

A bit of sleuthing revealed that, while the hardware was ok, the NVME SSD main drive had somehow gotten its root partition configured incorrectly during the initial Win10 install. But Microsoft has a command-line utility to fix that, took about a minute to download and run, so now I'm ready whenever they decide to push it. (It works in-situ, no reformat/reinstall required, so I'm not sure why they don't just make it part of the upgrade.)
    [EDIT] Here's what I'm talking about, in case anyone else needs to do it:
    https://www.techrepublic.com/article...itions-to-gpt/
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 10-06-2021 at 6:45 PM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

My work laptop is a 2014 15" dell laptop with quad core i7 processor and 16GB of RAM along with a GPU. It runs Windows 10 just fine even with all the management stuff we have running on the background. I will usually leaving it running for a week between reboots unless there is a forced reboot from our security group due to a security patch. I have have pretty much the oldest laptop at work. I keep it because it still runs great. It was a one off purchase that ended up in my hands after the initial need for the laptop was done.

I wanted to keep this laptop because the screen is 15" while the newer ones are 13", but I rarely use the laptop screen carrying it between home and the office. I have dual 27" monitors at home and in the office.

So happy I no longer have to mess with anything Windows! Time spent on household "desktop support" to keep DW up and running has dropped to near zero.

I have a couple laptops that came from a very large computer company I was working for at the time so they are stuck with & unless I want to pay to upgrade. I finally got a laptop with 10 on it and find it sucks down the battery like crazy. With 7 I just left the computer on all the time and on occasion I would charge it. With 10 no matter which sleep/ hibernate setting I use I get only a couple days of non use time before the battery needs to be charged. Other than that 10 sucks simply because I knew where everything is with 7. Now I have to search the internet. I really wish M$ would just make it so users could pick the style they like, say the 7 format but with 11's OS.

Anybody download and install Windows 11? If so, what do you think of it?
    Just installed it yesterday on a desktop PC. So far, running smoothly with no issues. Seems to be a bit cleaner interface than Win 10 (which I liked) and perhaps running a bit more crisply. Good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I really wish M$ would just make it so users could pick the style they like, say the 7 format but with 11's OS.
    A quick google of "windows 7 ui on windows 10" coughs up dozens of suggestions on how to do exactly that.

But in any case it's certainly not as extreme a learning curve as some previous updates, or, for that matter, going from Windows to Mac/Linux/whatever.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I installed it today and it's running fine. As Rush says it might be a little more crisp but seems very similar to 10. It does have some touch screen functions added if you like that. As far as seeing what programs are open etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Kev, interestingly, I had horrible instability with WinXP and Win7 that all went away with Win10. I was constantly having to rebuild them on a variety of machines, both personal and corporate. (that actually is why I switched to MacOS in 2010...) I expect that Win11 will be a continuation of Win10 as I mentioned earlier...a few new features and an improved UI, but nothing major is reinvented with the exception that there is that BiOS requirement that rules out a lot of older machines from running it, even if they have the computing capacity to handle it.
    The speculation is that there will be a hack to get around the TPM and 8th generation Intel Core processor requirement. There already is, sort of. There's a registry hack that permits installation on otherwise unqualified machines. There's no update/upgrade path though. It was the case - don't know if it still is - that if Windows 11 is installed fresh from an .iso as opposed to an inplace upgrade, it didn't do hardware checks, just installed like Windows 7 or 10. Windows 10 is supported until October 2025 - and maybe longer than that, only Microsoft knows.

Yes, I suspect that there are folks working hard to find a way around the BiOS issue for hardware implementations. The nice folks at Parallels do have an emulated security "ship" in the virtualization engine so that those of us who run virtualized instances of Windows on MacOS can do the upgrade. I actually turned that on the other day to prepare for the upgrade, but am waiting, as noted, for confirmation from Vectric that there is support for Win11. (which I cannot imagine will be an issue)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Any one have a link to a page I can test my computer to see if I can run 11,? Thanks
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Donley View Post
    Any one have a link to a page I can test my computer to see if I can run 11,? Thanks
    Just google "how to test if my computer will run windows 11" and you'll get a link to the Microsoft page.

Here's a link - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11 Go to the bottom of the page.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

There are work arounds to the TPM and secure boot for incompatible machines. It requires modifications in the system's registry which is dangerous & can easily disable your computer.

Just google "how to test if my computer will run windows 11" and you'll get a link to the Microsoft page.

Here's a link - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11 Go to the bottom of the page.

Mike

Thanks
    downloaded and ran this. Says processor is not compatible

Ron