Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Windows 11

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    One thing I just found out is that Windows 10 doesn't have an easy way to set updates to manual. The past couple weeks I have been using my cell phone for internet so being limited on how much data I can use it matters. I've never had an issue with the cap before but when the update for 11 came out all of a sudden it was checking for new updates every few seconds even though I repeatedly declined to do the update. After about 2 weeks I had used up 15GB of data. After resetting the data monitor in 2 days I used almost 2GB of data but the largest two users that showed up (chrome and firefox) totaled less than half and totaling up the list was about 750MB. Since forcing Windows update off I'm now using a fraction of the data. Not really an issue when you have unlimited data. With 7 it was easy to set to manual. Does anyone know if 11 can be set to manual?
    Do you know the trick about metered network connection? Earlier versions of Windows - don't know about 11 - if you were using a mobile data source, you could tell it you were using a metered connection (even when you weren't) and it would pause updates until you were on an unmetered connection.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 12-09-2021 at 7:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Do you know the trick about metered network connection? Earlier versions of Windows - don't know about 11 - if you were using a mobile data source, you could tell it you were using a metered connection and it would pause updates until you were on an unmetered connection.
    Windows 11 does have the ability to set up metering on the network connections. However, as I understand it, Windows Update will still download critical updates over a metered connection, just not recommended updates or updates for other programs (like Office).

Blog Entries
    I tried to set up our network printer with Windows 11 today. The printer is a brother HL-2040 and it works through our desktop computer. Window 11 can find it, but says it can't connect.
    printer.png
    The printer and attached computer are both on.

I had to let windows search for generic printers and a whole list of printer brands and machines came up after several minutes. I found the HL-2040 in the brother list and after doing the installation and walking back through the add a printer steps it finally found the printer and printed a test page. It only took an hour.....
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 12-09-2021 at 5:15 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Check the names <plural of the printer, as in, the printer's name in the list of printers and its shared name may be different...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Check the names <plural of the printer, as in, the printer's name in the list of printers and its shared name may be different...
    Windows found the printer but refused to connect. Once I clicked Generic printers and then on "Update Drivers" and it found a list of manufacturers and selected the correct Brother printer the printer worked.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

This thread has inspired me to revert my old Panasonic Toughbook to Windows 7 that it came with. I took the free download when MS was pushing it and have regretted it ever since. This machine can only take 8 MB of RAM which I upgraded from the 4 it came with. I have three other computers and only really use this one for music in the shop, searching the interweb, and reading posts on SMC.

Sure do miss XP.
    Regards,

Kris

Lee, is the printer connected directly to the network in addition to another computer? The former is usually a lot easier to deal with. The latter gets you involved with sharing security. Both printers in our home are directly connected to the network and all computers, regardless of OS flavor and version saw them immediately. (Two recent Epson EcoTank type printers)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Oh how I miss OS/2.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Oh how I miss OS/2.
    You probably miss floppy discs and dot-matrix printers too.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Oh how I miss OS/2.
    OS2 is still around, sort of.

https://www.theregister.com/2017/05/...s_2_arca_os_5/

The problem would be applications. I don't have any Windows 3.1 programs left.

Real programmers use Apple DOS3.3.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Real programmers use Apple DOS3.3.

---right up until they hit that 64,000th keystroke!
    I still remember writing basic on a 4k Ram Trash-80
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Cook View Post
    Sure do miss XP.
    I don't miss XP at all. I had to do some work on a Windows 2003 server the other day which has the same GUI as XP. That GUI just seems so outdated.