Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 11

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    This is a late follow-up, but I upgraded one of my computers to Windows 11 and found that it's not much different from Windows 10. Seems to work fine with all of my software.

Mike
    That's actually how it really is...incremental functionality/tweaking of Win10 with an updated UI. I wouldn't be worried about moving from Win10 to Win11 for that reason if the machine can support it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Huh. Just looked at the update page on this machine and found that both Win11 and Win10 21H2 are available.

I know that "quality" updates will continue for Win10 going forward, but I sort of expected that "feature" updates would end with the Win11 roll-out.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

What a letdown. I was hoping 11 would be to 8 and 10 what XP was to ME and 7 was to Vista...

So if Win 11 is just going to be basically 10.1, then I guess I'll be replacing the blown HDD in my old 8.1 to do internet and taxes. That turd was at least fast enough to get out of its own way, unlike my win10 laptop, and I at least knew how to work it.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

That's interesting, Kev...I found that v8.x was a total pig on the machines I had it on while Win10 has been a good and reliable performer with a lot less of the issues I experienced with XP and Win7. V8.x wasn't used very long, however, in my environment. (I think I had one machine on Vista years ago, but never used ME to the best of my knowledge)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The big thing with Windows 10 is it really needs an SSD to run at its best. My employer's earliest PCs with Windows 10 were pretty slow until we started replacing HDDs with SSDs. Most PCs have been replaced with new PCs that came with SSDs. We probably still have a full desktop PCs with HDDs that got missed during the transition to SSDs. We also have dozens of brand new SSDs intended for PCs that got replaced before being getting an SSD.

Speaking of win8's and sorry for the hijack- Took me about an hour to find online a way to get my dead 8.1 to do ANYTHING except say 'preparing to repair' followed by an endless black screen-- the trick was to smack F2 repeatedly... What I got was a system diagnostics setup, where I started a system quick check..
    sqt.jpg
    --when I got done here, it showed the Hard drive short DST test resulted in SOFTWARE FAILURE--

Yet, when the short test was finished, the test logs showed 3 system tests and 2 hard drive tests, all of which PASSED. So should I assume the drive is okay and only the Windows software is toast?

I still can't figure out how to get a command prompt screen, or a way into the drive any other way, which I need to do to attempt to find the recovery file, or the Windows key, which I'll need if I can figure out how to reinstall windows 8--

I'm thinking about putting 10 or 11 on this thing, which might be the best approach? But I'm not sure how to get the machine to BIOS either, from what I read you get to BIOS from Windows, a neat trick if it won't boot up...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

I'm fairly sure that you can download a version of Windows 10 that can be booted from a USB device, such as a thumb drive. I don't know how your BIOS is set up, but most have a sequence of devices that it will boot from and the first thing on the list is your main disk.

I'd remove the existing hard drive and replace it with an SSD (without an operating system) and see if it will boot Windows 10 from the thumb drive. It will try to boot from the SSD first, then go down the list. Hopefully, a USB device is specified in the list. If so, install Windows 10 on your SSD.

Then, you can access your old drive as an external disk (assuming it's operational) and move your data to the new SSD. You'll need a USB enclosure for the old drive but they're not expensive.

If you have a Microsoft account, they probably have the serial number of your old Win 8.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 11-21-2021 at 5:19 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks Mike- I ran an extensive test of the hard drive, it failed this time, so I'll probably just get an SSD for it. No MS account...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Thanks Mike- I ran an extensive test of the hard drive, it failed this time, so I'll probably just get an SSD for it. No MS account...
    If you go to Win 10 you may have to get a Microsoft account. I have one so I don't know what effect not having one is. I know that I had to connect to Microsoft after I installed Win 10.

In my opinion it's a good thing to have a Microsoft account. All of your Microsoft software is registered there. If you lose your disk, as you did, you can re-install all your Microsoft products and they will work under your account.

Most third party software people have all of your license numbers in your registration page. Of course, you had to register your software and create a password and ID for that company.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Good to know, lord knows I got tons of Microsoft stuff...

So I installed the dead win8 drive into my new computer-- management console says there's 5 partitions, all 'healthy', first is the recovery partition which I was hoping to access- but alas, in CMD trying to access the drive gives me "data error <cyclic redundancy check>" --

I'm assuming that drive is now good for target practice...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I have a large, I think 2TB SSD connected to my Dish Network receiver. I could easily fill it up. The old HD died after a few months even though it was rated for use in a DVR. I think the motor inside it went or it overheated. Not a lot of people need that much space but there are lots of uses where large amounts of data are normal.
    DVRs in one place where the old style HDD is better than SSD. DVRs involve a lot of writing, not a strength of SSDs. I'm not sure that the superior data throughput of the SSD is required by a DVR. Video surveillance recording and DVRs seem to be one of the strengths of the spinny HDs.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 11-22-2021 at 4:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Huh. Just looked at the update page on this machine and found that both Win11 and Win10 21H2 are available.

I know that "quality" updates will continue for Win10 going forward, but I sort of expected that "feature" updates would end with the Win11 roll-out.
    Some view the end of "feature" updates as a feature.

Blog Entries
    Is anyone else concerned that the home addition requires a Microsoft account? This alone is keeping me away from windows 11. But then again I only a few steps away from wearing a tinfoil hat so maybe it's just me.
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known
    - Carl Sagan

Just a couple of notes related to questions people have asked. You can download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool, which will allow you to create a bootable USB drive with the most recent version of Windows 10. This is what I use when I'm setting up new computers for work. You can also use the tool to perform an update install on the computer you download it on. I used this recently on a computer that had Windows 10 version 1803 and was stuck in an endless update loop, where the updates would start to apply, then fail and roll back. Using the tool fixed the issue by bringing the system up to version 21H1.

Regarding the Microsoft Account, it is required for Windows 11 Home, but not Windows 10 Home. Windows 10 tries to push you into signing up for one, but you can opt to use a local account with a couple of clicks. That said, there are some nice benefits to using a Microsoft account, escpecially if you use multiple computers. It can sync Edge bookmarks across computers, and if you have a Microsoft 365 subscription those settings are synced as well. It also means you have one account to secure across all your machines, and if you change your password it only needs to be done once.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Kilroy View Post
    Is anyone else concerned that the home addition requires a Microsoft account? This alone is keeping me away from windows 11. But then again I only a few steps away from wearing a tinfoil hat so maybe it's just me.
    At one point if you did a fresh install from a USB with all internet access disabled, it would install with a local account, no Microsoft account required. I don't know if that's still true or not and don't know if home & pro are different in that respect. I did a search for Windows 11 download and because I wasn't using Windows, Microsoft tools were not available. I was however able to download an .iso file and with the help of Balena Etcher now have a bootable Windows 11 USB if I decide to try it.