Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: more TV talk--

Are you sure the six beers you had aren't the reason the picture looks fuzzy

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Are you sure the six beers you had aren't the reason the picture looks fuzzy
    I thought Beer Goggles made mediocre things look more attractive?!?

I had a 52" Sharp in my bedroom for many years, until it began to have picture problems when cold. If I give it about 15 minutes or so, it warms up and then is fine. The TV is about 15 years old now and is a 1080P unit, so it's not worth fixing at this time.

I currently have a Samsung 70" in the bedroom and an 82" in the living room. I got the 82" during an after-Christmas sale at Costco, where they were blowing out last year's models. It is a 6 series unit, and it has a great picture in the brightly-lit environment of my living room. If I were looking for a TV for a darker room or a home theater room, I'd definitely go with a unit that has local dimming with as many zones as possible. This reduces the black level and reveals lots of low-level detail you just can't see otherwise. It is especially noticeable with Blu-Ray and 4K content.

I told my wife it's been almost 3 years now, so it's time for a bigger, better TV in the living room. She looked at me and said "No". Bummer. But hey, maybe there will be a sale....

We only have Samsung and LG tv sets. 5 TV sets in the house, only three people. Our first flat screen was a Memorex. Never heard of them again. It was lost in a house fire. I am partial to Samsung. but my daughter has a 50 inch LG in her room with no cable hook up, and is totally happy just streaming shows and movies. I got used to the Samsung system and used it to surf the internet until a couple years ago when I got a tablet. (Learned not to use the office laptop for any play time stuff. Suddenly I was getting friend notices for people I sued for clients. They were obviously searching my files.) In the kitchen I have a Samsung that has an antenna, no cable. I can stream and use it for the local stations/news when the cable is out for power outages. I often use the casting feature on my phone to line up videos about wood turning, fixing old tractors, etc. Been looking at newer TV's. I saw Samsung has some newer tech out. Sounds like the Crystal UHD might be old tech at this point.

I've had great luck with Vizio. The one at the other house is still in use after 11 years. Purchased a new one for the new home 3 years ago and have also been happy with it. It's an HD and picture quality is more than good enough for us. All we do is stream what we watch. No cable here. While you can browse with it that's why I have my laptop.

FWIW- I went through the TV research/purchase process a year ago. This is what I think I learned.

LG makes all the OLED units (Samsung, Sony, etc. use the LG).
    OLED provides the best overall picture given the number of induvial pixels. LG units shine in darker environments.
    QLED is better for brighter environments.