Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: more TV talk--

more TV talk--

So- we've had a 75" Sharp Aquos Quattron for about 9 years now-- this is the Aquos that has the 4th yellow pixel, NO complaints whatsover, fantastic picture. I'd like to move it to our bedroom and replace it with an 85 incher (or bigger) for the living room--

Just got an ad in my email from "our" appliance/entertainment place, highlighting two 85" TV's:\

an LG "NanoCell 4k unit for $2400-
    experience detailed LED picture in 4K resolution with the LG 86 inch Nano90 Series NanoCell 4K Smart TV. With Full Array Dimming, you'll witness deep blacks and contrast with precisely balanced lighting that reduces halo effect and light bleed. See the natural, lifelike picture of Nano Color and fast action of a 120Hz refresh rate. It's an experience backed by AI Picture and AI Sound, our premium processor, connected home features and gaming tech.
    and a Samsung AU8000 Crystal UHD for $1800...
    step into the world of Crystal UHD with the Samsung AU8000 Series 4K Smart TV. You be immersed in one billion shades of color with this stunning 85 inch Dynamic Crystal Color display. The powerful Crystal Processor 4K upscales everything you watch into a lifelike 4K resolution, so every detail is sharp and crisp. The AU8000 Series TV also features an ultra thing profile, allowing it to blend seamlessly into your living room.
    Are we going to notice much difference for the extra $600, and why? Any other suggestions? Most TV's I seen on display these days seem to be pretty good
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I'd shove a porcupine down the front of my sweat pants before buying anything made by LG ever again...
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

We've had nothing but good luck with LG stuff. I really doubt the odds are much different with any main brand. I have no need for brand loyalty to any common brand of appliances.

I've had Aquos, Samsung and LG TVs in recent years and all performed well. The old Aquos is still at the old house in the media room for whomever becomes the next owner...it's uber-heavy as its generation is prone to be. Samsung came next and I have no major complaints about it other than in the older generation, the "Smart" side wasn't too smart. No matter as we really didn't use that. When we move, that one went in the family/bird room over the mantle for general utility. There was an existing LG in the living room left by the previous owner, one generation back. Works fine. Which brings me to the act of buying a new TV for the master bedroom. I went to Costco looking for a Samsung because I was very pleased with the performance of the one we had. I came home with an LG because it happened to be the better buy that particular day; similar specifications. The moral of the story here is that I personally am fine with either Samsung or LG for TVs these days and "the deal" would influence my choice here between the two you cite. $600 is a nice hunk of change so there would have to be something significantly different and better to get me to buy the LG over the Samsing over those two and it would have to be something that my eyes could actually see.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I'd shove a porcupine down the front of my sweat pants before buying anything made by LG ever again...

ME TOO!

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

By the time you are old enough to think $600 is not that much extra I doubt your eyes can see a difference. Similar rules apply to high end audio gear.
    Bill D

OK, no more porcupine sex fetish posts, let's stick to TV's.

I've always been a Sony fan but.... My wife wanted the perfectly fine fully functional 10 year old 46" LCD Sony in the LR replaced with something larger. After some research and chatting with a friend at FB, the wife and I went to Costco and brought home a 65" Samsung Neo QLED television. I was amazed at the picture quality on a true HD broadcast!

It was one of the "recommended" ones at Consumer Reports.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

OK, no more porcupine sex fetish posts, let's stick to TV's.
    I was a huge fan of Goldstar TVs.
    My mistake was buying LG appliances - thinking they still had Goldstar quality.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

From personal experience, Samsung TV's are good, Samsung kitchen appliances suck and getting Samsung warranty service is even worse.

TV's, I've pretty much had Sony for the last 30 years and every one was still working when it was replaced with a larger model or newer generation.

Currently have two 75" XBR's and a 65" XBR. I just bought a Sony 75" XBR to replace a 50" Samsung in the bedroom.

Between brands, I don't think picture quality varies between them, all have huge levels of adjustment to dial in a picture to your liking.

Blog Entries
    Check out http://rtings.com for TV reviews. It's a very good site.

I'm never going to be too old to think $600 'doesn't matter' -- that's why I'm asking!

I'm mostly concerned with the fact that an 85" screen is pretty big, and anything 'bad' about the pic will be worse the bigger the screen. About 7 or so years ago the restaurant our son was managing installed a half dozen Sharp 90 inchers, and I wasn't real impressed with them. However, output is only as good as the input, and at that time I don't think they were getting decent HD, if at all, and I know those TV's weren't 4k...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    About 7 or so years ago the restaurant our son was managing installed a half dozen Sharp 90 inchers, and I wasn't real impressed with them. However, output is only as good as the input, and at that time I don't think they were getting decent HD, if at all, and I know those TV's weren't 4k...
    A pet peeve of mine that gets triggered once a week or so.

Have never figured out why a sports bar would pay to paper the walls with enormous screens and then shove standard-def signals at them. Fuzzy is bad, wonky aspect ratio is worse: "Is this an NBA game or a sumo match?"
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    A pet peeve of mine that gets triggered once a week or so.

Have never figured out why a sports bar would pay to paper the walls with enormous screens and then shove standard-def signals at them. Fuzzy is bad, wonky aspect ratio is worse: "Is this an NBA game or a sumo match?"
    Ditto...I never understood that, but also realized that there actually are some folks out there that can't readily identify the difference. And apparently, some of them own sports bars/restaurants, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Ditto...I never understood that, but also realized that there actually are some folks out there that can't readily identify the difference. And apparently, some of them own sports bars/restaurants, etc.
    And hotels. Stayed at a 4-star place earlier this year that advertised "HD TVs", which I guess is technically true, but the cable they had hooked up to it had no HD content, and the attached player was DVD-only, no BluRay.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.