Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: From an outbuilding woodshop to a basement. The journey begins.....

Ouch. Heavy for sure. More expensive, too. But ya gotta work with what you can get sometimes...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm just about finished with the PVC work. This was the most complicated part, by far. I intend to have the bandsaw, router table and drill press all lined up against this wall. So, I've added some wyes, and will cap them off until the tools arrive.

PXL_20211103_115505194.jpg

I was hoping to have a perfect place for the dust collector, but there just wasn't one. To me, 'perfect' would have been in a corner, inlet and outlet flush with the wall, and the ability to enclose in a soundproof cabinet.

None of the corners worked. On the back wall (either corner), it would stick out far enough to block part of the windows. One of the other corners was out, because of the door to the utility room. And the remaining corner will be the outfeed area to the table saw (and the orientation didn't line up). The Onieda v3000 is pretty configurable, as you can rotate the filter and inlets in 45 degree instances. But what you can't do is flip it over. So in my best placement option, the inlet couldn't be against the wall. But as you can see, I was able to angle the pvc so that it lined up with the soffit.

Here's a wide angle view of the room.

PXL_20211102_230449747.jpg

How did I make all of those pvc cuts? Remember, my only power tools are a borrowed skil saw and a 12v drill. But the pvc cuts easily with a decent hacksaw. I've probably made 40-50 cuts so far.

PXL_20211025_174102017.jpg

Oh, I have a tool on the way!!! I'm upgrading my bandsaw, so that I can do some resawing. I've been doing research, and last week I saw the Harvey C14 on their site for $1399. I should have jumped it then, because when I decided to pull the trigger (2 days later, it was $2099 !!!!). But I emailed Harvey customer service and asked if they would honor the cheaper price. They did and it's on the way!!

I use a jig saw to cut pvc.
    The Plane Anarchist

OK, I've done as much with the new shop as I can.

I have one tool that can cut wood, a Harvey bandsaw. I think I mentioned earlier that I saw it on their website for $1399. It was an extra couple hundred for shipping. It took 4 of us and an appliance dolly to get it into the basement.

I was surprised that it was shipped completely assembled. If not for a problem with the magnetic switch, I would have been cutting wood in minutes.

PXL_20211107_124011853.jpg

PXL_20211108_185244158.jpg

PXL_20211113_133517896.jpg

So, the new shop is ready for my tools. I'm actually a few days behind in posting this. Currently, I'm back in the midwest, starting to pack up the old shop.
    Last edited by Clifford McGuire; 11-18-2021 at 10:00 AM.

Oh, what have I gotten myself into? This is my 'old' shop. I'm really going to try and pare things down and not move anything that I likely won't use. For example, I have three metalworking vises, and haven't used one in ten years.

Stationary tools that are going: Table saw, drill press, router table and planer. Hand power tools are the sanders, jig saw, hand drills, etc. Also two shop vacs and a bunch of non-powered hand tools.

I'll dismantle the table saw and drill press before the movers come. I'm not taking the outfeed table/cabinet.

I'm really going to try and resist the temptation to pack anything that I likely won't use.

PXL_20211114_133638263.jpg

PXL_20211114_133703751.jpg

Paring down has got to be the biggest challenge of all. Ideally, we’d all like to move into digs that are 4X larger.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Yes, this is THE time to cull what you haven't used or don't need. Example, those metalworking type vices. Keep one, get rid of two and mount the one you keep on a piece of plywood with a wood runner underit that can clamp into your woodworking bench's vice for those times when that style is helpful to a project or a "honey doo" task.

I agree with eschewing moving things like older cabinets, etc. This is the time to rethink what your needs really are in the new shop.

I did a bit of this culling when we moved a few months ago...probably not enough, actually. LOL
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I agree with eschewing moving things like older cabinets, etc. This is the time to rethink what your needs really are in the new shop.
    Right. For example, I had a collection of hand saws, so I built a saw till. I hardly use them, so I'm taking my best rip and crosscut and dovetail saw, and will sell the rest. So I don't need the saw till.

It's a heck of a coincidence, but the new shop is exactly the same dimensions as the old shop (18ft x 25ft). And the entrance is in the same spot. So I kind of know what will happen if I don't get rid of some stuff!!

The new shop has 10 ft ceilings (vs barely 8ft in the old shop). So, I'll see if I can better use that extra height along the walls.

Blog Entries
    Just make sure not to build any projects that won't go up those stairs....
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    Just make sure not to build any projects that won't go up those stairs....
    You mean like a, um...boat? LOL
    --

SWMBO and I have moved at least every 10 years and a few times in between. Each time we moved we had a big dumpster dropped off. We purged a ton (literally) of stuff each time. My motto was “if it needs fixing, or if it is a project waiting to happen” it goes in the dumpster. I still have two storage units needing to be moved into my soon to be completed shop.
    Last edited by Leigh Betsch; 11-24-2021 at 8:21 PM.
    The Plane Anarchist

It's moving day!

My shop has been reduced to a tale saw, drill press, planer, hand tool cabinet, workbench and 20-some boxes (most Chewy, as you can see). It's packed, along with the rest of our belongings, and is heading west.

PXL_20211130_145221875.jpg

I bet there are interesting stories about that "tale saw".
    --

Well, the movers have unloaded all of our stuff. They were great about delivering the tools down to the new shop. In fact, they kept offering to place things where I wanted them. I knew where the workbench, table saw and drill press would go. But the rest of the items were in boxes. I had them stack them up against a wall.

PXL_20211204_150134353.jpg

Since I don't have any storage yet, I'm going to have a box (or two) of accessories next to each tool. For example, I'll have all the drill press jigs, bits, etc in a box underneath the drill press. It will be a little cumbersome for a while, but at least it's all in one place.

PXL_20211207_225828823.jpg

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, the head on that Nova drill press is HEAVY. I'll need another set of hands or two to get it in place.

And now you can have some fun figuring out where you want things. Initially. LOL Congrats on the completed move!
    --