Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: From an outbuilding woodshop to a basement. The journey begins.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    And now you can have some fun figuring out where you want things. Initially. LOL Congrats on the completed move!
    Too true! I moved this summer and have been arranging and rearranging tools and storage ever since. On the plus side, every version gets a little better.
    Congratulations on getting moved in!

Quote Originally Posted by David Publicover View Post
    Too true! I moved this summer and have been arranging and rearranging tools and storage ever since. On the plus side, every version gets a little better.
    Congratulations on getting moved in!
    Yea, I"m only in a "temporary shop" at the moment and have moves some things around as much as three times with another round coming soon when I move the lathe here from the other property. LOL Change is...change...

I'm really happy for the OP to have all the stuff at his new place now!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

On the topic of storage and rearranging storage......

I made these three lists. On the first list is all the items I'll need wall space for, and whether it will occupy the upper half of the wall (lumber, upper cabinets) the lower half (miter saw station, cutoff storage, sharpening station) or both (clamp storage).

In the second list, I made a potential arrangement. This will probably change before I get started. But I really only have two walls with any measurable length available. One of those will get the lumber storage, and the other will have cabinets. Once I settled on a plan for those, the other items fell into place.

The third list is what space is left over, for future use.

PXL_20211208_132149308.jpg

In addition to these, I'll be making an outfeed table and assembly table. Each will have storage below. I'll probably also build something under the table saw side extension to store the fence, miter gauge, tenon jig, etc.

Please let me know your thoughts/comments/concerns.

Sure, there were advantages to my midwest outbuilding shop. But I'm sure not going to miss this.....

PXL_20211207_131513420 (1).jpg

I protected metal surfaces as much as I could, but you just can't fully protect everything. Here's to living in a low relative humidity environment!

That holdfast will clean up very nicely with a little elbow grease. (One of my favorite "tools" in the shop)
    --

As a side note about your lists: that’s how some of my students take “notes” these days-they just take a picture of what’s in thr board-lol!

You’ll be glad to be in a drier environment for sure!

Ahhhh, I have the hand tool part of the shop set up.

In my other shop, the hand tool cabinet was in an inconvenient spot. It was higher up the wall and behind the router table. I couldn't reach the upper section w/o a step stool. And having to reach over the router table was all the more difficult. I will appreciate having everything within easy reach.

The workbench was at the back of my old shop and I kinda liked it there. So, the back of the shop it is again.

PXL_20211208_132602839.jpg

One of the wonderful things about having a brand new shop space is being able to rectify things from lessons learned, including improving workflow and convenience. It's nice you were able to locate that tool cabinet in a spot complimentary to your bench!
    --