Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Converting European 3 Phase Power tools to Canada electricity

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I think that you'll find that transformers for 240v to 400v or similar, unlike VFDs, are not really something you'll find on places like Amazon. That's an industrial type product.
    And as far as I know, none of the manufacturers keep them in stock because there is so little demand for them. It will have to be made to order and expect to pay lots for one.

Blog Entries
    But would a vfd at 240v (or 120v if you can find one that would deliver 3HP) work when wired to a step up transformer 240V back to the 400v of the motor?
    I'm assuming so..... But those transformers aren't cheap and you would have to have one each for the two machines as they would be fed from individual VFDs.
    And you are mistaken that you can find a new or even used VFD at 3HP for $100 that is working. Most that size are twice or more. I'd expect you are looking at $300 to $500 per machine for the vfd and transformer and that is used prices.
    either sell the machines where the sit, or buy new motors that you can power off the line.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by Mike King View Post
    you might also contact @Jack Forsberg; he offers VFD's and has restored a variety of European old iron machines and he lives in Canada.
    I was thinking the same guy, he also has a Youtube channel and is a member of that Canadian forum as jgarrett foresberg I mentioned as well as being a member here.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jackenglishmachines

Same on recommending Jack as well. Hes sold lots of them and knows tons about them. On top its from someone with history of really being in the trade so there is lots of history there.

Is the motor 400V only? If the motor can be reconnected for a lower voltage a VFD would be a ideal solution, but they cannot boost the input voltage to a higher voltage, only can adjust to a lower voltage, for example 240V to 208V, I do that with a couple of machines with single voltage 200V 3 phase motors.