Thread: MCM Bookshelf

MCM Bookshelf

This project started out as a 4-H project by youngest son. Several hours into the project it was clear that he is hyper sensitive to saw dust. So he stepped away from wood working. The parts sat in the shop until I decided the time had come to wrap this project up. MCM is not my cup of tea, but it seems to be the rage with the current generation of young adults. This may wind up going to one of my kids. The figured maple book matched drawer front did not turn out as nice as I had hoped. I’m not sure what pull I will go with. I made a small thumb tab pull out of Cherry but rejected that. I might go with a simple walnut pull or go with a metal handle. This main cabinet is cherry plywood. The frame is solid Cherry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Joe A Faulkner; 10-05-2021 at 1:08 AM.

2. I like it, proportions work well and it just looks right to me. I think you'll find it's a tough crowd here for MCM work- most everyone seems to like the more busy designs. Shame your son has the reaction to the dust.

That's an interesting and versatile design. Even though the style isn't your cup of tea, I'm glad you took the time to complete it. It's well done and as you note, the style is currently popular with many folks. I'm sure it will make a family member happy!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For those who like MCM, the plans were in Popular Woodworking, October 2015, #220 in an article written by Michael Crow. He has a book as well with 29 shop drawings of MCM style pieces.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good job Joe, functional and ornamental.

Nice looking set of shelves, well done. Sorry to hear about your son's reaction to sawdust though.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

I think ,and all the scientists are with me !….that the human eye has a built in preference for vertical designs. I think less vertical is the
    main feature of MCM. For an MCM bedroom you need a bed that can be also be an amusing ,jiggling bank !#Always wanted to try one…
    but my parents wouldn’t let me “waste a quarter”. The inset ends are a nice feature,too. Well done !

#allusion to coin operated vibrating 1950’s motel beds. I had forgotten how long ago they shooked out
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 10-05-2021 at 6:35 PM. Reason: Clarity

Blog Entries
    Very nicely done Joe. MCM is not my cup of tea either, but I really like the proportions and negative space in your design.

My brother-in-law asked me to build them MCM sideboard for them. Working with the walnut plywood was not my favorite part of the job.13.4.jpg

Thanks Mike. The design credit goes to Michael Crow. If memory serves, you were wrapping up this project a couple months ahead of me completing the MCM style walnut vanity I built for my daughters house in Virginia. Excellent job on the side board. I always enjoy your build threads.

My take on an MCM vanity used solid walnut. I was pretty pleased with the build, but it was relatively simple compared to your side board. It featured an American standard cast iron sink made in Louisville Kentucky in 1959. Pretty cool since my daughters house was built in 1954. I also grew up near Louisville which added another connection to this piece. Not so sure how it will hold up in the Hampton Roads coastal climate, especially with the wooden counter top. I guess time will tell.