Thread: paint fill acrylic

paint fill acrylic

how would you get a sharp color of paint when you paint fill reverse engraving on acrylic? im getting like a frosted color paint rather than a solid color paint

Something's up with your paint, or what you're thinning it with, or the engraving you're trying to fill... I've been back filling reverse engraved acrylic for 45 years, and it's almost failsafe. Air bubbles can happen but they're rare. I use Testors model paint for most jobs, but I also have good luck with Sharpie waterbased paint pens, especially white and metallic silver...

This is some glossy black/clear reverse engraved; the red is Testors model enamel applied with a toothpick, the silver was done with a Sharpie paint stick once the red dried good--
    sr2.jpgsr1.jpg

Only time I've ever experienced anything resembling 'frosting' is when using the wrong thinner
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

David

I know what you're talking about and you can definitely get better color, sometimes even glossy, by filling the first surface. On the other hand, most jobs I've done require second surface filling. Some colors are indeed frosted when viewed from the front.

I think Kev may have solved the problem with the brand of paint he is using. I typically use craft store acrylic colors.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

i mainly use spray paint and on cast acrylic when you get a nice white frosted engraving, that causes the haziness in the color

could be you need more paint? Part of the haziness may be caused simply from light behind the paint showing THRU the paint...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Very possibly the engraving. Most of my acrylic engraving into cast is pretty frosted. Paint fill won't change that.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others