Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paint fill for V-Carved text in solid surface material

Agreed, great looking work

Robert, nice work on the sign. It doesn't get any easier then painting VCarved text and graphics on solid surface plaques. I have also used gold leaf on a few solid surface plaques that looked great.

Mark, Your sign is made from clear acrylic, or am I missing something. It looks like you CNC cut flat depth and paint filled then sanded the surface. I have been playing with a surface polisher using a foam pad and polishing compound recently. Honestly I have not given any thought to using this technique on clear acrylic but your pictures have me thinking about it. I have lots of half inch thick clear acrylic in my inventory so I think I will see what kinds of results I can get VCarving.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Mark, Your sign is made from clear acrylic, or am I missing something. It looks like you CNC cut flat depth and paint filled then sanded the surface. I have been playing with a surface polisher using a foam pad and polishing compound recently. Honestly I have not given any thought to using this technique on clear acrylic but your pictures have me thinking about it. I have lots of half inch thick clear acrylic in my inventory so I think I will see what kinds of results I can get VCarving.
    Keith,
    Those are in 1/2" thick 3form Chroma. Comes in tons of different colors and with or without diffusion layer. (basically a semi opaque backing layer so you dont see through the material). The logo is flat bottom with 1/16" endmill final pass, 1/8" hogging at .1" deep then infilled with color matched integra seaming adhesive (same material you seam solid surface with, 250ml dual cartridge, but color matched to the logo). I put a full sheet on the CNC, mill all the logos, infill them all leaving them a bit high. Once cured fly gut them to as close to flush as possible (thou or two) then sanded flush. I have since made a bracket assembly the bolts to the side of the spindle and holds a 6" AirVantage random orbit so I can sand on the CNC as well. After they are all sanded/polished the holes for the LED standoffs are cut and they are cut-out tab'd.
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 10-13-2021 at 12:18 PM.