Thread: Circular sawblade for cutting PTFE (Teflon) sheet?

Circular sawblade for cutting PTFE (Teflon) sheet?

Gathering info for a customer: Anyone out there use a circular saw for cutting some of the softer plastics like HDPE? Customer works with PTFE sheet stock up to 4" thick. I have experience with circular sawblades for harder plastics like acrylic and experience with machining softer plastics on the nesting router but never on the table saw. This would be a 10"-12" diameter blade, standard woodworking rpm. PTFE is very heat-resistant, so I am not really worried about melting, but completely in the dark as far as tooth selection. Thanks in advance,

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I have solid surface blades for Corian, and other "plastics" that do a great job.
    Never tried it on the softer stuff--?melt?.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Hi Eric, I’ve cut hdpe on a table saw and bandsaw just like wood using a 40 ish tooth 10” blade and 3tpi blade respectively. Biggest issue? Clean up. Works easily with handsaws and planes too. Hope that helps.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

4. I tried to cut UHMW sheets on my table saw (not 4" though), noticed that 'aluminum' blade with negative rake angle works best.

Blog Entries
    I don't think melting would be an issue with PTFE. As far as I know, it will degrade & break down before melting.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I don't think melting would be an issue with PTFE. As far as I know, it will degrade & break down before melting.
    It'll offgas some pretty hideous stuff in the process.

I'd think you would need a coolant mister to cut 4". https://www.amazon.com/Trico-Mister-...3463996&sr=8-8
    What quality is needed on the cut? I see a bandsaw working way better as less heat build up than circular blade.

Thanks for the input, everyone. Kinda' what I figured already but good to hear feedback. Richard, I agree with you but they are cutting 4X4 sheets, so a bandsaw is out.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

My input would be the largest blade they can run with a lower tooth count, and if you can find a heavy hollow grind thats better. Air blast (precision point) for chip clearing, and if they cant slow the saw RPM run with the fastest/most consistent feed speed possible (feeder), and static guard to let the saw blade shed chips that will be held to it with static charge. Ive made some HDPE cabinets (Vycom), not the same material and less gummy, but just getting the chips to shed seems to be a major factor. If they static cling to the blade and just get drug around and re-cut or the gullet doesnt clear your sunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Thanks for the input, everyone. Kinda' what I figured already but good to hear feedback. Richard, I agree with you but they are cutting 4X4 sheets, so a bandsaw is out.

Erik
    Then they need a bandsaw like this. Caterpillar had one in the model shop I worked at.
    Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 7.25.57 PM.jpg