Thread: Box Lid Fit Fix?

Box Lid Fit Fix?

So I made this box to hold some hex drivers. I did it on the quick. Should have made the box, cut it into top and bottom, then inserted the driver holder in the bottom. Instead, I made the driver holder, then decided to make a box around it, so of course, the lid and bottom don't come together very well. Fix or no fix?

If the deviation is with the lid, the solution is simply to cut the end square. If the base isn't square, it's a similar process (I'd use the table saw), but made more arduous by the need to be careful with depth of cut so you don't impact the inner piece negatively.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    If the deviation is with the lid, the solution is simply to cut the end square. If the base isn't square, it's a similar process (I'd use the table saw), but made more arduous by the need to be careful with depth of cut so you don't impact the inner piece negatively.
    Ya...I was afraid you'd suggest that. That's gonna be a close cut for sure. Thought I might cut a hair shy, then clean up with a chisel. I don't know why I obsess over these things. It's only a utility holder for a bunch of handled hex drivers.

You obsess over these things, as do I, because its a matter of pride. And that's a good attribute to have! Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Cut close with the powered saw and then finish with a fine hand saw and chisel.
    --

Well, thanks for the help. I did the table saw thing and it worked pretty well. Not perfect, but what little flaws there were, were nicely covered up by a chamfer on bottom and lid. Thanks again!

Nice fix. Small chamfers are not only attractive, but have saved many boxes in the world! They don’t look like a fix, but a intentional design feature.

Yes, that looks very nice! A little chamfer can go a long way for many things, too...
    --

Nice job! What kind of protective finish will you apply to your new box?
    David

Blog Entries
    When I make a box of that type, I add a saw kerf to the height of the sides making the the box as a totally enclosed. Then i cut the top free on my table saw, cutting the two short sides first. After I cut the first long side I insert a shim the thickness of the kerf on that side securing the shim with painters tape. When cutting the fourth side I lower the blase so it doesn't quite cut all the way through. This leaves the lid attached on that side. I use a sharp knife to finish the cut and clean it up with a small hand plane.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    When I make a box of that type, I add a saw kerf to the height of the sides making the the box as a totally enclosed. Then i cut the top free on my table saw, cutting the two short sides first. After I cut the first long side I insert a shim the thickness of the kerf on that side securing the shim with painters tape. When cutting the fourth side I lower the blase so it doesn't quite cut all the way through. This leaves the lid attached on that side. I use a sharp knife to finish the cut and clean it up with a small hand plane.
    Good advice and solutions that I hope I remember for next time. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    Nice job! What kind of protective finish will you apply to your new box?
    David

I really like MDF finished with clear poly. If I want a finished look, I'll spray it on. If not, I simply wipe it on. It brings out the speckles and leaves a hard surface.