Thread: Curly Maple Plywood

Curly Maple Plywood

Is curly maple plywood (3/8" or 1/2") available in sizes other than those for small hobby work? I am unable to source pieces at least 10" x 20", and really do not want to (although will if needed), purchase veneer and a vacuum pump and make my own.

As always, your help is appreciated.

Greg

Good morning Greg. Yes, curly maple in large sizes is available. Industrial Plywood in Reading Pennsylvania has it in 4 X 8 sheets, various thickness so it does exist. Who in Alberta has it is a question I can't help with.

Along the lines of what Curt mentions (I'm also an Industrial Plywood customer here in PA), find out where local cabinet makers source their sheet goods for custom work. That kind of source can get you what you want/need and some will lay up veneer plywood custom if need be. That's not inexpensive, but when it's the best choice for a project to be stunning, it's the way to go.

You can, of course, also lay up your own custom veneer plywood by sourcing the veneer, backer and a good quality plywood for substrate using a vacuum table/bag setup...a reasonable choice when you want to do eclectic stuff with species rarely available pre-made.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Curt and Jim. Yes I will likely have to purchase veneering supplies and make them myself. Is mdf a good substrate or should I stick with plywood for veneering?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Fairweather View Post
    Thanks Curt and Jim. Yes I will likely have to purchase veneering supplies and make them myself. Is mdf a good substrate or should I stick with plywood for veneering?
    Plywood may have grain Telegraph through your veneer. MDF or better yet, MDO,would be better substrates to veneer to.

Clint

I agree with Clint that MDF is a better substrate for the reason he states. But what you are going to use the material for also counts. If you need the strength of plywood including fastener adangages, they a good quality BB-type plywood should do the job. If you have to do both sides as "good", be sure you get the plywood that has A both sides so you don't have any "eyeball" fillers in surface defects which are often on the "backside" of veneer plywoods that are not intended for good both sides. Do note that you must veneer both sides regardless; an inexpensive backer veneer is fine for one-side applications.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...