Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever change their Powermatic 15 planer oil?

Anyone ever change their Powermatic 15 planer oil?

I tuned up my planer (Wow! What a difference). I thought I would go ahead and change the oil like it says to do annually. (Haven't since I bought it new in '99).

Where do you find 50wt Oil? I don't want to get a gallon; the auto parts store don't carry it.

How much does it take? Hobby stores sell it for $4 per 2oz bottle.

Can I just use 90wt or some other gear oil?

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I found the proper weight gear oil at an auto store. It was with the transmission fluids and not with the motor oil on the shelves however.

I did a search at AutoZone.com and they show 2 brands. The Valvoline VR1 racing oil was in stock for my zip code, and showed 5.99 a quart. Royal Purple is 8.99/qt. but not in stock. YMMV, but look around and I bet you'll find it. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Remember to take the fill plug out first, before you drain the oil

and drain it into a METAL container, not glass. DAMHIK

I did mine when I put a Byrd in it. Like others, I got the oil at AutoZone. It was inexpensive, maybe $5 for a quart.

I had oil leaking everywhere out of mine. Then I realized that the holes without bolts in them went all the way into the gearbox.

Just realized - mine is a 15S (i.e. just like a Grizzly and a dozen other brands). The 15 is a Belsaw like machine, as far as I recall. That may be different.

Quote Originally Posted by John Downey View Post
    Remember to take the fill plug out first, before you drain the oil
    This is a very good tip for anything with a gear case, or a differential!

First, it's not oil, but gear grease. Do a Google search for "changing the oil in 15" planer," and you should get lots of hits.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 03-03-2014 at 9:05 PM.

Bruce, page 13 of the user manual for my planer says "Refill the gear box with 60-90 weight gear oil through the fill hole ". Here is the OIL I used:

photo.JPG

It goes on to say "The four table-raising screws should be lubricated as required using a common grease." I think the OP was talking about the oil in the gearbox though.

Go to your local tractor supply or Rural king, I am sure they will have it.

What is with the metal container? Is this an inside joke? You have me thinking about a scene in Breaking Bad involving acid, a dead body, and a bathtub on the second floor?
    Quote Originally Posted by James Baker SD View Post
    and drain it into a METAL container, not glass. DAMHIK
    Thanks for all the replies. There is an AutoZone in town, I will swing by and take a look

Nothing like that, it's just that glass is really slick when you spill a little oil on it, and breaks when you drop that slippery container. Plastic and metal won't

Quote Originally Posted by John Downey View Post
    and breaks when you drop that slippery container.
    Exactly. :-(

I changed mine out and put Amsoil 75W-90 full synthetic gear lube in it.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Andrew View Post

I had oil leaking everywhere out of mine. Then I realized that the holes without bolts in them went all the way into the gearbox.

Please elaborate; why did you have oil leaking everywhere? Before the oil change, during, after?

I have a 1 year old Grizzly. I figure I use it about 5% of commercial use, so I should change it every 20 years. (well maybe every 5 years to be on the safe side) Does that reasoning make sense?