Thread: Advice wanted- servicing SCM SI15F

Advice wanted- servicing SCM SI15F

Hi,
    Does anyone know which bearings I need to buy for the sliding table of SCM SI15F?
    I may purchase a second hand SI15F; However, first I would like to check if I can source replacement bearings, The cone shaped bearings that are closest to the saw blade are very difficult to find.
    I was told that it is extremely difficult to find replacement parts for this model, is this true? I really like the SI15F, it is so well made.
    In addition, I am looking for a service manual for SCM SI15F.
    Can anyone please send / scan / sell me one?
    Thanks in advance...
    Eldi

Did you check with SCM's "Parts Pronto" site for both the manuals and parts?

https://www.scmgroupspareparts.com/e...account/login/
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Eldi,

I can’t help with your specific question, but I recently acquired the same saw and have been using it a lot lately. It’s a great saw for me so far.

I can say that when I was searching for a new (used) sliding saw, my choices were filtered to short stroke sliders because of my tiny shop space and if I had the space I would be looking at something like the SI 16 with a full stroke for the 8’ side of a plywood sheet. It’s not the end of the world to make the first one or two cuts with the track saw, but not ideal for production if you’re working with sheet goods most of the time...I do a healthy mix of solid wood and sheet stock. The saw is fantastic for solid wood. It’s a bit of a dinosaur compared to newer and more electronic sliders, but I like that part of it. It is very stout and the rip fence is extremely nice as well. When I was shopping for a short stroke, my list was either the SI 12 or the SI 15F. Happened to find a nice 15F first for a good price and really like the saw. The stroke is around 52”.

My roller bearings for the sliding table seem to be in good condition, so I haven’t looked into replacements yet. I’m very interested to know what you find out. As Jim suggest, you should give SCM a call and see, though they don’t typically keep a good inventory of parts for the older stuff (I have 3 older SCM machines and have talked with them a few times in the past about parts for the other 2.). Call SCM Canada if you don’t get a satisfactory answer or a knowledgeable person on the phone with SCM USA.

I am looking for a factory miter gauge/hold down clamp, as my saw did not come with one.

I have a few PDFs of the manuals for the saw and am happy to email them to you. Send me an email to phillip@stillwaterwoodworks.com and I’ll send you what I have. SCM may have more scanned manuals than me?

Do you have any photos of the saw in question?
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 10-03-2021 at 9:54 AM.
    Still waters run deep.

What country are you in? They have a office in Dubai
    Bill D.

Of course I had the used saw for several years until I decided to grind the bolt head. I did not want to jump the gun. The saw was good enough for the first 40-50 years anyway.
    Bill D