Thread: Upgrade advise: Jet 1015VS to Jet 1221

Upgrade advise: Jet 1015VS to Jet 1221

I've been using the 1015VS for about 8 years with no problems except when turning bowls. The swing and motor size of 1/2hp just doesn't lend itself to bowls any bigger than 8-9 inches.
    I understand upgrading to the 1221 isn't a "massive" change but it is bigger and has a 1 hp motor. Larger lathes would be a problem in my small shop.

So, have any of you been faced with a similar situation and if so, did you upgrade to the Jet 1221? Any regrets, suggestions, and comments are welcome!

Thanks...Tony
    Liberty, SC

That is a dynamic leap from the 1015VS to the Jet 1221. The heavier lathe, larger diameter turn ability, reverse, and on and on and definitely the midi better than the mini. I have a Rikon 70-220 that is similar to the Jet 1221 and find that I use it when things fit rather than use my Powermatic 3520B, and even can see having to scale back the large work and only use the 12" midi. Compare the Rikon and Jet and you may be surprised with the lower cost and longer tailstock travel, but Jet good also.

I would give some consideration to the Laguna 12/16. I got the table extension with mine and have loved it!

I second the Laguna 12/16. I have the extension and it works great. Plenty of power for the size turnings that fit.

In my opinion, a used Jet 1 1/2hp 1642 would be a much better upgrade. In my region that is a $1,000-$1,200 machine. It's not like you can't turn until one shows up, unless you do have big bowl orders waiting.

My first lathe was the 1221VS. My advice would be to skip a step or two and get a 16"+, 1.5HP+ machine. If you are constrained to 120V get the biggest lathe you can in that category, something like the Laguna 1836 or Jet 1640EVS.

I have been happy with a 1524 from Laguna, I turned a 15 inch segmented bowl and a few bowls from logs. No issues, still under warranty tho🙄