Thread: Aftermarket bandsaw fence?

Aftermarket bandsaw fence?

I have a Rikon 10-326 that I really like. It runs strong and does everything a band saw should do. That said, the fence sucks. The fence is equipped with an adjustment feature to deal with drift. What it does instead is never give an accurate reference that’s parallel to the blade. I need to fiddle with it every time to get it lined up right and it’s all but impossible to lock down. We have a battered old Jet at work that has a basic fence that smokes the Rikon.

Anyone familiar with an aftermarket option that actually works?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Check out this video around the 2 1/2 min mark, you can install a tee style table saw fence on a band saw or use your table saw fence on your bandsaw. The rail system is an easy build, section of 3 x 3 angle and a section of 3 x 4 steel tube, drill a few holes, tap some of them and a coat of paint. I just finishes new rails for my table saw all in cost less than $100 Cnd, a shorter bandsaw rail would be half that. He does a complete set of videos on building the rails and fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Check out this video around the 2 1/2 min mark, you can install a tee style table saw fence on a band saw or use your table saw fence on your bandsaw. The rail system is an easy build, section of 3 x 3 angle and a section of 3 x 4 steel tube, drill a few holes, tap some of them and a coat of paint. I just finishes new rails for my table saw all in cost less than $100 Cnd, a shorter bandsaw rail would be half that. He does a complete set of videos on building the rails and fence.

No link to the video.

marking as interested

Assuming it's an issue with the cam, and not a case of getting a locknut to tighten down on the handwheel.
    What about making an insert to fit where the cam is instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    No link to the video.
    OOPS,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSRXU59DCHw&t=150s

Rob, I have the Rikon 10-326 and have been frustrated with the fence. And although I made a shop built fence, I have used the Rikon fence successfully many times. Make sure your bandsaw is set up properly setting the table square to the saw blade's side and square to the saw blade's back. If you start with a new blade you should not have to correct for drift. Set your fence exactly parallel to the miter slot. Very easy to do, just slide it perhaps 1/16 or less away from the miter slot. Then you can make sure it is parallel to miter slot. Loosen the side handle on the fence ( look at instruction booklet page 19 ) Loosen the locking knob for the Adjusting Handle. Turning the Adjusting handle until the fence is parallel to the miter slot. Tighten the locking knob. Then tighten the side handle on fence. Your fence is now parallel to the miter slot and parallel to side of blade. You should have no drift, and fence will work for you. Never bother with the Adjusting handle again. See if this set up works for you. As far as fences correcting for drift, I am not confident in that. Usually a new blade takes care of the drift issue. There are aftermarket fences but I doubt any are perfect.

I used to have a fence on my 18'' Steel city that I cobbled together from Old Unifence parts. So basically a scaled down Unifence for a bandsaw. Worked awesome. I mounted the rail with a flat piece of 2-3'' steel between it and the table edge. Also have a Kreg fence on my Delta,it works Ok but not even close to the UNifence.