Thread: Any Great Finds or Great Buys Lately?

Any Great Finds or Great Buys Lately?

Hi All,

I had a happy buy this week. It was not a Neander deal, but a tool I needed. We have a lot of tree stuff to trim now that we live where there are lots of trees, we have more than 50 in our yard, and I have bought some new heavier duty pruning Neander tools like a replacement bow saw, and a new heavier duty lopper, etc. However, we has some badly overgrown bushes that are virtually too much for the bow saws. The last one I cut down was an Eastern Red Cedar that had been trained into a bush and its base was 11" by 7", and it was so low to the ground that I spent about an hour cutting it off, although about half of that was resting. (I finally gave up on the bow saw, and ended using a 4' tree saw that I bought about 50 years ago.)

At any rate, a friend uses a reciprocating saw for pruning and advised me to get one since it can also be used for carpentry, and is thus a tool with lots of applications.

I read up on several and decided on two possible corded saws, a Milwaukee or a DeWALT, both choices between $110 and $120, but wanted to actually go look at each. The Milwaukee came with a case but only had a 3/4" stroke, and the DeWALT had a 1 1/8" stoke but no case. The net said our local Ace Hardware had both in stock....I just wanted to look but wait until I had time to think before I bought one. Well, they did not have the DeWALT I wanted to look at, but the young floor manager thought they might have one back in the storeroom.

Well 5 minutes later he was back with the DeWALT, but it had been buried under stuff in the back for a long time, and he thought it was a former Display unit, but for all intents and purposes it was new, but old stock. Well, for all intents and purposes from my view it was basically identical to the DeWALT I wanted to look at. It even had a case, the sticker on the case was $99.99, and the sticker on the saw itself was $89.99. Out of curiosity I asked if they would sell it for $89.99.

The young fellow went to talk to the boss, and he came back a few minutes later and said they would sell it to me for $50! It went home with me!

They told me that if there was a problem I could bring it back, and the warranty should be good. When I got home I phoned DeWALT, and found out it was made in 2010, but the warranty was valid, as was listed on the box, since it was new even if old stock. I had to keep the receipt though! (No problem with that.)

I was a happy kid, I paid less for a heavy duty tool than the cheap light duty ones cost, it was $10 less than half the price of the Milwaukee that came with a case, and that older DeWALT had the case and longer stroke that I wanted!

Happy kid!

Have you had any good garage sale, barn sale, or flee market finds lately?

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 10-01-2021 at 4:26 PM.

Blog Entries
    Have you had any good garage sale, barn sale, or flee market finds lately?
    Good deal on the reciprocating saw Stew. Amazing that you got a better deal than what you asked to get. If you don't ask you don't get…

My rust hunting has been a bit subdued of late. In May a #60-1/2 came home with me. Since then three molding planes and a draw knife have been found.

My son-in-law brought me a logging saw he saved from being tossed in a dumpster.

Maybe it is time to get out a bit more.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim,

You can't beat the price, free, of having your Son-In-Law bring you a saw that was going to be thrown away!

Stew

I am happy for you on your buy. Every once in a while a good deal comes along.
    Tom

Saw an old vintage India stone and Norton Transluscent on a Japanese auction site (ebay equivelant) with a bid price of $20.
    I was stupid and didn't bid on it, and someone else walked away with an incredible deal.

I dunno, I guess I don't need more stones, to be honest, hence my hesitation. I'm happy for whoever won that auction