Thread: Close Split Before Installing Butterfly Keys?

Close Split Before Installing Butterfly Keys?

I have nice 2" thick live edge walnut slab approx. 8' long x 15" wide that I am planning on turning into a sofa table. The slab has a split about 2" from one edge. The split appears on both faces and runs about 2' into the slab. At the end of the slab, the split gap is about the width of house key, gradually becoming narrower further down the slab. Applying pressure with pipe clamps across the width of the slab, it is possible to substantially close the split gap. I am planning on using maple butterfly key to prevent further splitting. My questions is should I clamp the slab and close the split gap before I install the butterfly keys? What is the best practice here? (If it matters, I likely would install butterfly keys on both faces and surface the slab after the keys are installed.)

Thanks in advance for your insights and advice.
    Stan Figura

Blog Entries
    I would spread the split a little without doing more damage. Then work wood glue into as much of the crack as you can. Suction from a sop vac will pull the glue into the narrow parts of the crack. Then once all the glue is in place use your clamps to close it as much as possible. You may need several clamps along the length. When the glue dries completely (24 hours) add one or more butterflies.

If you follow Lee's suggestion, I'd suggest leaving it in the clamps until you install the butterflies. 24 hours may not be enough for the glue to fully cure depending on temperature and the glue joint will be highly stressed. To answer your question, not sure if it would be better to close the crack or fill the crack.

In addition to the excellent comments already made, I'll suggest to you that you may want to consider just how far you want to take this closure idea. Keep in mind that the crack relieved tension in the board. Clamping it "more closed" is reasserting that tension. There's no harm in that in general, but it may not be a good idea to get to extreme with that. The more tension you put in, the beefier the butterflies are going to have to be and their primary purpose is to stabilize the crack so it doesn't get wider. Pick a happy medium here...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I would rip the slab in half at the split spend the time making a perfect glue joint.
    The bow tie inlays could be eliminated
    Aj

If you would be happy with the visual interest a long crack can add to a table top, I would not close up the crack.
    It's not important for structural reasons to close up the split, so just be clear on what you get from either closing the split or keeping it, and that'll get you closer to your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    If you would be happy with the visual interest a long crack can add to a table top, I would not close up the crack.
    It's not important for structural reasons to close up the split, so just be clear on what you get from either closing the split or keeping it, and that'll get you closer to your answer.
    Some would fill it with contrasting epoxy, lead wool etc as a visual thing.
    Bill D.

Ahhh, the age old dilemma, hide a defect or make it a feature. Depending on the style of the piece and your personal taste either can be successful.

Thank you all for your comments. When I purchased the slab, the slab had already split. At that time, I thought I would leave the gap open, stop further splitting by installing butterfly keys, and then fill in the split with a pigmented epoxy. But after playing around with some clamps and discovering how "easy" it is to close the gap with pipe clamp pressure, I started doubting my initial plan and began to overthink things. Jim's comment really resonated with me. Too much tension in my life already, and certainly no reason to add more. I think I will just install butterfly keys without trying to close the gap. Now I can turn to obsessing over pigment color . . .
    Stan Figura

Probably the right, certainly the safest decision. I've glued up cracks with what I thought was reasonable clamping pressure only to watch the crack reopen as the clamps came off.