Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acceptable Bandsaw blade front to back movement?

Acceptable Bandsaw blade front to back movement?

Hello I am new to the forum and I am also new to Bandsaws. Without all the long boring details I will do my best to keep this short
    I purchased a Grizzly G0640X 17" Wood / Metal saw in June it arrived laying down instead of standing up which is a bad thing. The replacement saw arrived last week and looks like it had fallen over during shipping due to the damage to the crate. It was left out in the middle of our road without any scheduling or notice of delivery. So I now have both saws in my shop and while using a dial indicator with the tip on the opposite side of the 1/2" wood blade from the teeth so I am reading front to back movement here. The first saw is .013 and the second saw is .011 I switched blades between the machines and one machine went up .001 and one went down .001. Since the first saw arrived we were sent new tires , a new upper wheel. a Coplanar tool was made and used and still the blade moves front to back without any noticeable change.
    so I was pretty surprised when the second saw was turned on and it also moves front to back. Measurements were taken with all of the bearings backed off of the blade
    on saw #1 I tried 4 different blades and none of them seemed to make it any better and I feel as if I have the blades properly tensioned and different tension levels were checked while the dial indicator was used and the measurement stayed the same. So what I am trying to figure out is do I have 2 bad saws with possible shipping damage or are these measurements typical front to back movement? I have spoken to every Grizzly tech support person and sent in videos and they all think something is not right. I called yesterday and asked them to go measure their machine runout and report back. Thank you

If the guide bearings are too close to the blade it can make it pulse forward and back up to 1/8" or so in my experience. I would back the side bearings away from the blade and try spinning the wheels by hand and see if the movement is still there.

Are you using the POS blades that came with the saws ? First thing I would do would be to buy a quality blade before jumping to any conclusions. Very likely is just a bad weld in the blades.

If it’s blade that came with the saw consider it junk.
    Aj

All fore and aft movement of a bandsaw blade is the result of the weld and not the machine. Band saw blades are not machine shop precision. If you demand higher quality, either make them yourself or buy high end blades. I'm not sure you will be happy with a bandsaw based on the 3 place decimal tolerances you expect. I haven't put an indicator on a bandsaw blade during my 49 years of woodworking.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 10-01-2021 at 10:38 AM.

Thank you
    All guide bearings are backed off
    I am a novice to band saws want to make sure they are not damaged while in the return window since both came either laying down or with obvious tip over damage and every tech that watched the videos at grizzly think there is something wrong with the saw one tech said .003 should be acceptable another said .010 on a bad blade I did not measure the weld area itself or the reading was closer to .030 I purchased Lenox blades they also move front to back and they claim it’s not normal to move as much as they do in the videos I sent hoping to hear back from them on what they actually get a reading to be on their saws hoping I am chasing nothing and I have 2 good saws

A more important measure of machine quality would be to put the indicator on the tires and on the faces of the wheels. Measuring the blade shows blade quality. Measuring the machine shows machine quality.

Thank you Richard you seem very knowledgeable. I did take measurements with a dial indicator in several locations as instructed by Grizzly. They had me measure the inside of the groove of the wheels where the tires go as well as the outside of the wheels. I called right away when I started using this saw since I have never used a bandsaw before to see if that was normal and I sent them several videos and they feel it is not normal. The annoying thing is I purchased it from HD and I had to wait 3 months for them to get another one in stock which was delivered here last week left out in the road for a week. Since day one I have asked is this anything to worry about is this normal and they all think its not normal but after plugging in saw #2 it seems to be the same as saw #1 so what are the chances of both saws being screwed up? .002 apart from each other? they do have big signs to keep the crate upright and #1 came laying down and #2 the crate is all busted up so I am concerned. If you have the time I would really appreciate it if you can watch this video I sent to them about a month ago its 5 min long but it shows the blade movement and the wheels spinning etc your input would be very helpful to me as I am at our weekend home now with my skid loader that I brought up here to move this from the road to my garage and I can load my truck with it and bring 1 or both back to HD. The video is only of the saw I got in June thank you very much!

https://youtu.be/4YAyIogTfLs

Yeah, bad welds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Yeah, bad welds.
    Could be, I would want to have a few differing brand blades just to be sure of everything.

One thing I'd check is for any vibration of the lower wheel without a blade installed.
    Should the pulley not be aligned with the motor.
    Seems the lower wheel is the only adjustable thing in terms of yaw, so it needs to be aligned with the top wheel,
    and also the motor pulley.
    Marc Spagnuolo mentioned something along the lines of a jig for this, but didn't go into much detail.

I found out it makes a handy tool for yaw adjustment, but one must do this with a loose belt, as if misaligned might damage the motor bearings
    very quickly. DAMHIK
    Obviously take measurements of everything before doing anything. tracking and jack screws.
    You could try this method, as I haven't seen a video on yaw adjustment elsewhere.
    https://youtu.be/VQ9dmP9yF8E

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Jurgrau View Post
    The annoying thing is I purchased it from HD and I had to wait 3 months for them to get another one in stock which was delivered here last week left out in the road for a week. Since day one I have asked is this anything to worry about is this normal and they all think its not normal but after plugging in saw #2 it seems to be the same as saw #1 so what are the chances of both saws being screwed up? .002 apart from each other?

https://youtu.be/4YAyIogTfLs
    It's very likely that 2 machines would be out of tolerance. They don't check every single one coming off the production line. There is nothing wrong with having a bandsaw on it's back. It's tipping over in transport that is bad. If the spine of a bandsaw is such that it can't take laying on it, it certainly won't take the load of tightening a blade on it either. The blade weld is definitely bad. The tire looks horrible on the wheel, but the wheel doesn't look that bad. How did you put that tire on the wheel? If the stretch wasn't equal it could be thinner in one place of the wheel than another, but it won't cause the blade to move fore and aft. Take off the blade and put in on the flatest surface you have. See how much light you can see around the weld. I am pretty knowledgeable, I've been using bandsaws for about 45 years.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 10-01-2021 at 4:18 PM.

thank you for watching the video. I watched a video Grizzly made on putting the tires on I put it in hot water then used a few zip ties and stretched it on by hand and ran a screw driver under the tire all the way around the wheel. Their top tech guy personally installed a tire and sent me a new upper wheel and after installing that the movement appeared to increase so I put that wheel back on it. the second machine looks to wobble an equal amount to that machine in the video regarding the upper wheel and tire. I have an 8' 1/4" steel workbench top that is only a few months old so it should be nice and flat I think I did that already but honestly I have done so many things I forget now all the details I will do it again. that was my first thought was the welding the blade but all the blades have similar movement fore and aft. I am not exactly sure what happened between MO and WV but when you tell Grizzly they arrived on their side they say that can damage the machines easily and I should have refused the delivery. #1 arrived on its side not on its spine with no visible damage to the flimsy crate its packed in so I assume it was gently laid down. #2 the crate is missing pieces of wood at the top and it has several cracks in it so I assume it tipped over. The crates they ship these in are insufficient. I would attach photos but I do not see how to do that. From what I am interpreting my replies on this it sounds like both machines are good and I just need to pick 1 and send the other one back and I should be fine with either machine. I still need to setup machine #2 I think I would choose that one because everything is as it came from the factory instead of me replacing several parts and making a slight adjustment to the coplanar which I marked with a paint marker before adjusting it. Tom thank you for your input I think the word yaw is what I was taught was coplanar I am in the automotive industry and yaw means something else relating to how far the Vehcile leans the sensor may think its out of control. I am collecting wood working tools for when I retire I do not want to work on vehicles any longer

Hello Jeff
    I was using the term yaw in relation to the east west jacking screws, and the relation to the top wheel, which is easier measured when co planar,
    as from all other guides I've seen, no attention is paid to the east west, so it's not only referring to the wheels being in line with the frame.
    (Under blade tension, I hear the Italians mentioned that this is done with the max blade size)
    There'd be no point in running an indicator if the wheels were out, as the blade will force them against each other.

I would definitely make sure it was different blades from different suppliers to rule out anything.
    All the best
    Tom

Jeff just watched your video. I would remove the tires from one of your saws then install one of the better blades and see if that improves the movement issue. the reason I suggest this is I have read numerous threads here on Sawmill creek about the stock tires on Grizzly saws being junk. Most have reported a very big improvement when they installed after market Urethane tires on their saws.

I agree, the upper tire looks bad or poorly installed. Correct whichever it is and check it again.

John