Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Acceptable Bandsaw blade front to back movement?

Thank you to everyone for their input and watching the videos. Regarding the upper wheel and tires the first thing they did was sent another pair of tires which I installed which did not make a noticeable change. They also sent me an upper wheel with a tire installed on it which I felt made things a little worse so I put back on the original wheel.
    the upper wheel simply bolts on to a fixed shaft with 1 bolt. Sadly I was setting up machine #2 last night and it wobbles just as much in my opinion where the tires are in the grooves of the wheels and when I change the RPMs at certain speeds the saw seems vibrate more than #2 so I will need to check the wheel balance which I did on #1. I am going to need to get it off the pallet and on concrete and compare to saw #1 I only have 1 plug end so I need to move it between machines. Since I had so many issues with the saw HD has really stepped up and at this point almost took off maybe 40% of the original price so I do not want to lose that I really want to make it work nicely. I have only cut one piece of wood with the saw just to make sure it a straight cut and it did a nice job. I have not tired with saw#2 yet
    today I will make another video which will be of saw #2 it will not be as long as #1 hoping I can get some feedback on it regarding the wobble at the tires. I purchased this model of saw because it does wood and metal and has a variable speed inductive motor. I also do metal fabrication work. I do not need a top of the line machine as this will be for hobby use so I think it will be a good machine for my needs.

Here is a video for saw#2

https://youtu.be/V7VKz5j0sas

I would buy some blades to try on one of them, and take the table off the other saw and check the alignment of the wheels.
    How does the lower wheel run without a blade installed, is the drive belt tight or loose?
    Can you detect vibration when the machine is stopping, should you not be able to detect when running.
    Can you sight down the belt whilst adjusting the lower wheel as it should become apparent when it is in line with the pulley.

The fact that the blade is moving, left and right as well as front to back, suggests either the wheels or the tires being out.
    you have installed new tires on one, if so make sure one isn't back to front.
    The first rule of machinery is to do all adjustments without damaging the machine, so beware of the belt being too tight especially if misaligned.

I would like to see Grizzly's coplanar tool.
    I haven't seen many jigs for the application, but have spoke to a manufacturer before who said they use lasers for the job.

Edit: I think I found a similar process here on the Grizzly G0457 manual,on page 49
    https://manualsdump.com/en/manuals/g...0457/274618/51

I didn't have success trying with a pair of blocks like that, so removed it and with that, the faff of sliding the top wheel in my case
    was taken away from the equation. (since I have rounded edge flat tires)

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 10-02-2021 at 7:41 AM.

It looks like the upper wheel is not true in your second video. However, 0.011" front to back movement is not a big deal IMO as long as there is no large vibration associated with it. BS's aren't used when 0.001" accuracy is required. I'd personally be more concerned with runout side to side, not front to back, but a few 0.001's there is not critical either as long as there's no flutter.

The second saw looks perfectly acceptable to me, and if HD gave you a 40% rebate I'd count my blessings and call it a really good deal.

John

thank you again. Well I put #2 on the concrete floor and ran it to 3600 RPM and the saw shakes allot I tried swapping the upper wheels and it made no difference
    saw#1 runs very smooth at max RPM 3600 I am really disappointed and at this point will just keep #1 and deal with the small movement fore and aft

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Jurgrau View Post
    which was delivered here last week left out in the road for a week.
    When I read these stories I wonder how the last-mile delivery guys stay in business in these areas. Anyone who would drop a crate in the street and just leave needs to find another area of employment.

As others have mentioned, the factory blades are not much more than window dressing. Having a couple that are poorly made would not be surprising. With both machines being delivered by folks who seem to know little about doing such things my instinct would be to return them. You can chase 'traumatic impact' caused issues in a machine for along time before you give up. I would skip the effort but, that's me.

Call Grizzly and purchase direct making them well aware of your repeated problems. Sellers cannot fully control delivery streams but it would be good to make them aware. I would be tempted to pick up the machine at the freight terminal. That way if there is again any sign of "oops!" you can just refuse it right there. I'm sorry you are in an area that doesn't have qualified freight handlers. We read about a fair amount of that on here and it sometimes seems to be regional.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-02-2021 at 11:10 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Before you decide which machine to keep or whether to return both, have you done any test cuts to evaluate the saws performance? Sometimes the parameters measured, while out of spec, have no real impact on the quality of the cut. Based on your vibration comparison sounds like the first one is the only one to consider keeping.

I won't go into details and won't state the company's name, but I bought a new bandsaw years ago with cast iron wheels. I sent it back after a couple of weeks of waiting for and replacing parts. Found a used MiniMax MM16 and didn't look back.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    All fore and aft movement of a bandsaw blade is the result of the weld and not the machine. Band saw blades are not machine shop precision. If you demand higher quality, either make them yourself or buy high end blades. I'm not sure you will be happy with a bandsaw based on the 3 place decimal tolerances you expect. I haven't put an indicator on a bandsaw blade during my 49 years of woodworking.

Agreed
    If it really bothers you, you can go get one of those little sharpening stones to smooth out the back edges and you'll be fine.
    https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/...dingstone.aspx

Thank you yes I did make a test cut back in June with saw #1 and it did a nice job I only cut a scrap 2x6 I have not tired to re saw anything
    The delivery companies ruin things for sure. I purchased from HD because the saw was hundreds less than on than direct from Grizzly site and they offer free shipping
    Estees picked up both saws directly from Grizzly in MO then they delivered to a terminal in MD where it transfers to the final mile residential deliveries
    the first final mile company was great they called days in advance to schedule which day to deliver it and their driver called me when he was on his way. He also took the time to help me get it in the garage. He said it came off the Estees truck laying down Saw #2 was supposed to call to schedule a day buy they never did and the tracking was estimating another week before delivery. Last Friday I came to our weekend home only to discover they left it outside of our gate here in Rural WV we are on a mountain but there is plenty of room for large box trucks to turn around in our driveway. If they would have only Called me I would have been here the day it was delivered so being over 400# and about 300' down the slope of our driveway and I do not know anyone around here and being alone I just left it there and came back a week later and it was still there. I am still waiting for NSD to call me to schedule a pickup it has now been 8 days without a call from NSD. I came up Thursday with my skid loader and son to get it out of the road and into the garage as I do not want to find it was stolen. Took the time to unpack it and setup the saw only to find it vibrates allot so I tried calling HD several times today and their phone system must not be working it just drops the call every time while going through the prompts. So a warning to anyone purchasing this type of equipment from HD I waited three months for them to get the saw back in stock they will not ship one out from the MFR if its not in stock in their inventory even if the MFR has them in stock and the saw went up about 500.00 since the first one. It has truly been a pain in the butt and if I were to do it again I would just buy direct and pay the shipping costs because Estees who HD uses lays them down. HD Customer service has been very good as well as Grizzly tech support who can only ship out parts and not an entire saw since it was Purchased at HD. Its the delivery companies and HD Inventory polices that have created all the issues. Sorry for the rant. Thew fact that some of you have watched the videos and given opinions and advise which makes me feel more comfortable just keeping the first saw. I am going to post the video of machine #2 at 3600 RPM so you can see how much it vibrates and shakes for another piece of mind that sending it back is the best thing to do with #2 #1 runs smooth at 3600 RPM

Here are the 2 machines running at max speed 3600 RPM if anyone would like to watch them

#1 3600 RPM https://youtu.be/1LFllxSmyT0

#2 3600 RPM https://youtu.be/wQ_T7WzkyjY