Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Smoothing plane do you prefer ? Lie Nielsen #4 or Veritas bevel up Smoother ?

Which Smoothing plane do you prefer ? Lie Nielsen #4 or Veritas bevel up Smoother ?

What is your preference and why ?

Millers Falls No. 9, Type 4...has been MY go-to plane for quite a while. Have NEVER had any issues with chatter, either...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

I have a LN 4 1/2 and had a LV smoother. I sold the LV. No good reason, just preferred the feel of the LN.
    < insert spurious quote here >

I like bevel down.
    My LN #3 is the bees knees.

Hands down, the bevel down.
    It's better at tear out control for me.

I had the Veritas BU smoother and sold it. I have the Veritas BU small smoother but I use it like a block plane - not a smoother.

Blog Entries
    All my smoothers tend to be bevel down.

One of my jack planes is a bevel up LN #62. It was purchased for use as a shooting plane. At the time the only plane commonly available, dedicated to shooting was a Stanley #51.

My #62 jack plane does not get used as often as any of my #5 jack planes.

A couple of my #5s do a fine job as long smoothers. The bevel up #62, is not quite as well as the #5s at smoothing.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jeff,

I originally had bevel up planes, LV jointer, jack, smoother and small smoother. Used them for years. Then I ran across a good price on a LN bronze #4. I wanted to see what I'd get setting the chipbreaker close to the blade edge. As others have said I could plane with or against the grain with no tearout.

Then I bought a bronze #3. After using the #4 and #3 a while I decided to sell off the 2 bevel up smoothers and bought a LN #5. It was just too nice to be able to ignore grain direction when needed, as in when a board has reversing grain.

Keeping the BU jointer because I have a toothing blade and 90 degree guides for it that come in handy. About to put the BU jack up for sale. Just haven't had the time to list it yet.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Millers Falls #8 or #9, Stanley #3 or #4. At 4 1/2 lbs, the Lie-Nielsen plane doesn't appeal to me.

LN #4 cuz it is the one I have

That said, I too have become a big fan of a tuned and tight chipbreaker.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

The LN. I'm a bevel down guy and I much prefer the Bailey style adjuster over the Norris.

I also use the Ln no4 bevel down I have the bronze one.
    I’m on my second blade that’s how much I like it and use it.
    Really Need to find a smaller one for much of my work now is small.
    Aj

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I also use the Ln no4 bevel down I have the bronze one.
    I’m on my second blade that’s how much I like it and use it.
    Really Need to find a smaller one for much of my work now is small.
    How small of work are you doing Andrew?

This makes me wonder if there may be a 'rule of thumb' relationship between the size of the plane compared to the work.

Sometimes it also depends on the width of the piece being worked:

Planing the Saw Marks d2.jpg

This is a #1 being used to smooth the saw marks after sawing open a box.

A larger plane might be awkward here.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The bronze Ln #4 is sold out…is the bronze better than iron ?

Quote Originally Posted by jeff vanek View Post
    What is your preference and why ?
    Jeff, they are all good planes and will do what you want them to do. Your choice must eventually come down to the one you feel is most natural to you.

A Veritas BUS can feel quite different from a LN #4 (common pitch). It depends on your experience with each.

BU planes (with high cutting angles) were my go to, along with HNT Gordon high angle BD woodies, before I learned to use the chipbreaker on Bailey planes. High cutting angles were necessary to control tearout on my local West Australian woods. Compared with Bailey planes, the BU planes are lighter and more nimble. They offer more feedback. The downside (for me) is they are more complicated to sharpen as they require a honing guide (not an issue for those who prefer this way). The Veritas BUS is a dedicated smoother. Mine only uses a 50 degree secondary bevel, creating a 62 degree cutting angle. There is very little it cannot smooth without tearout. It is a pleasure to use.

Mine is a little modified - - so it may not be easily recognised. This is planing into the grain of fiddleback Marri ...

I have a LN #3 (not a #4), and I love this plane. It has a little less feedback than the BUS, but with its double iron and closed down chipbreaker, it can go anywhere. It fears no grain direction. Also doesn't hurt that it is a looker ...

One other plane to consider is the Veritas Custom #4 , another BD, double iron plane. Interestingly, this #4 is a mix in feel between the BUS and the LN. It has a little more feedback than the LN, feel a little better balanced, although I prefer the Bailey adjuster on the LN. This #4 has a 42-degree frog, which lowers the cutting angle for a smoother cut.

Planing into the grain ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by jeff vanek View Post
    The bronze Ln #4 is sold out…is the bronze better than iron ?
    I have the bronze. It’s a bit heavier, won’t ever rust and I prefer it’s appearance. Other than that I assume they perform the same. The LN 4 is a great plane.

Regarding your initial question, I have many LN and a few LV Planes - shooting, small plow, rabbet. The LV are good planes, but over engineered in my opinion. There are things I don’t like about them - the totes, adjusters, and the screws on the side of the body that position the blade. The totes don’t fit my hand like those on my LNs and the grip feels somewhat awkward. Others have addressed the adjusters; I much prefer a Bailey. Maybe it’s just me, but I find the side adjusting screws to get the blade positioned exactly right requires a lot of time and fettling. It’s a PITA. I wouldn’t get rid of the small plow or rabbet because I don’t think there’s anything comparable, but if the LN shooting plane is ever available again I’ll probably buy it and sell the LV.
    Last edited by Stephen Rosenthal; 10-01-2021 at 9:50 AM.