Thread: Some Curves and Grain...

Some Curves and Grain...

Somewhere a while back, I read an article from a pro woodworker (of custom furniture, as I recall). The gist was that if a custom piece had a curve in it, they wouldn't make any profit. So, I did it anyway....and now take those words as Gospel.

This is for a lovely young lady. To give her hope, and a place to keep it safe.
    front.jpgiso.jpgtop.jpg

I'm in a 'wild grain' phase; hoping the curves balance the grain: frame is curly cherry, panels are curly big leaf maple (both book match (left v. right) & slip match (in a given panel)); bottom is Spanish cedar; Danish Oil (natural).
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 09-30-2021 at 12:32 PM.

Looks great, I see a bit of Asian influence in the design and the wood grain is spectacular. I assume the lack of profit would be because of the extra work due to the curves but suggest the results are worth it.

That's beautiful. And I agree - curves are a killer to make. Making one look good is OK. Making the second match the first is harder. Making a whole series? Gah.

Beautiful concept and workmanship. Thanks for posting.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Nice job Malcolm. A lovely gift! Love the wild grain.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thank you, gentlemen.

As a 6-board chest was reputed to be human's first 'furniture', this was intended to be the recipient's first furniture - and to be unique. Inspiration was agonizingly slow to arrive, so I'm running a bit late on this one. ...It's always something.

Screams out Asian and craftsmanship Malcolm!

Absolutely gorgeous, thanks for sharing!

Very beautiful piece, Malcolm. I sense you put your heart into it to provide hope for the young lady. Well done.

It is a breathtaking piece for sure. Were you able to work any of the parts as pairs, maybe tacked together with some 3M #77 or similar?

Blog Entries
    Really nice work, I like working with Cherry and curly maple. I've never mixed them like this though. I'm sure it will please the new owner.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    It is a breathtaking piece for sure. Were you able to work any of the parts as pairs, maybe tacked together with some 3M #77 or similar?
    Thanks again.

Mirrored frame pieces with no 'mating' curves were made using templates on the router table, ensuring that 'like' pieces matched. Where 2 frame members met on a curve, the frame member's mating surfaces were made by establishing the main curve (i.e. bottom rail), then scribing the ends of the mating frame member (stiles) to match. Bandsaw, edge sander, and OSS were used to tune the fit (alas, don't own a compass plane - and not sure how it would have handled the end-grain cuts?).

The biggest issue and time consumer was ensuring that the frame's mating curves fit tightly, but still maintained the centerline angles of the frame (basically, preventing racking and asymmetry). I decided on loose tenons for these curved joints, so as to avoid cutting curved shoulders. Slow and careful was the buzz-word of the dahhhhh... month. OK. Months.

Once frame was dry fit, the panels were positioned under them and the frame 'opening' transferred (pencil) to the panel. That line was then offset (out) by the required dado depth on the frame edges. The panel was cut to fit on bandsaw, and ready for assembly.
    Simple.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 10-06-2021 at 1:00 PM.

I've never seen anything like it Malcom. Must have been a bear to make. You did a fantastic job, that I am sure the young lady will be overjoyed with.

Stunning. Very nice work. Well done.