Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exterior paint and primer

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Two or 6 previous lives ago, I used S-W coatings on exterior steel mixing vessels in industrial setting (chemicals). They started in bad shape, so took them to bare metal, primed (can't remember the primer), then a coat of S-W 2-part epoxy, followed by S-W Hi-build Aliphatic Polyurethane (also 2-part). They were bulletproof: epoxy was for chemical and mechanical resistance; polyurethane for UV resistance (epoxy will 'chalk' in sunlight). All in titanium white.

Quick search of their site was no-joy on the epoxy - maybe discontinued, or renamed? Poly is still available. Excellent products!

Mr. Thompson, I am not promoting this for use on your porch, rather just anecdotal endorsement of the brand. But.... if you want the be$t, $-W Indu$trial Coating$ will get you there.
    We’re currently having some paint warranty work done on the dome of our courthouse (I’m the maintenance tech there, the dome was repainted about 4-5 years ago). There were various processes used based on the prep regimen (which was based on thickness of the metal substrate and cost). Anyway, on the thicker metal, it was “vapor-blasted” back to bare metal, a clear, 2-part, epoxy primer was used, then a tinted, 2-part epoxy intermediate coat, then a 2-part urethane topcoat. Where the prep and process were good, the product is near bulletproof. However, there were some holes missed that rusted, among other things like a rush to beat impending winter or deadlines…hence the warranty work.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

could it be the bare metal wasn't pickled before the clear epoxy was applied?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I'm sticking with what I know works. Oil based primer, and whatever the top of the line paint Sherwin Williams currently has. Ever since Duration was their top of the line paint, we've never had to so much as touch up anything painted that way, and I know it goes back at least to 2006.

I've been using Emerald since it came out.

I don't even use the combination paints on interior work.
    +1 on top of the line Sherwin Williams

Yes, I know it is stupid expensive. Its like $70 a gallon. But we did major prep, two coats of primer (one heavy, one touch up) and two coats of finish (again, one heavy and one touch up) and that was 2006 and the whole house looks perfect.

Tip: Twice a year your commercial Sherwin Williams outlet will have a 50% off sale, usually in the Spring and Fall. If you sign up for an account, they'll let you know ahead of time. At least in our area, one has to have a commercial account (not too hard to set up, just lie if you're a homeowner), and drop in every month or two and ask when it will be. Once they tell you an approximate date, I started calling them every week to make sure I got in on this. Our house is huge, takes like 200+ gallons, so the 50% off sale really makes a difference, and it is the best paint around.
    Regards,

Tom

Just getting on SW's email list will get you 20-30% off from time to time...but yes, it's easy to set up a commercial account and that also gets you access to some coatings that are not "supposed" to be sold to mere homeowners, like the A series products which are quite good for the money.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It seems like about every other month they have 30% off, and a couple of times a year 40% off.

I'll second the commercial account at Sherwin Williams for better pricing and access to "professionals only" products. My husband's business has an account, mostly for caulking, but when I made a VSCT fence system I was able to purchase an oil-based "professional" enamel paint that wore like iron.