Thread: Does anyone still make a decent saw set?

Does anyone still make a decent saw set?

I'm looking to buy a saw set (the sharpening kind, not the more-than-one-saw-in-a-package kind) – are there any decent ones still available, or is the vintage market my best bet? Lee Valley stopped selling theirs a couple of years ago.

Blog Entries
    The maker Lee Valley retailed for closed the business. I have one of those in one size range and picked up a Millers Falls for another range. There seem to be plenty out there in the used market. Fortunately this is a tool that gets used by those that know a thing or two and left in a box or a drawer by those who don't so the used ones are generally in pretty good shape.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Pax saws from Thomas Flynn and Co in the UK. They have a dovetail, tenon and rip etc. I have bought from them with no complaints at all, well packaged.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

In a fairly recent thread, less than a year ago, I recall Rob Lee of Lee Valley/ Veritas mentioning they were working on a saw set to be made in house. There were some issues with the third party saw tooth setter they used to sell. I don't remember the price point Rob kinda spitballed. I wanna say maybe $40. Might have been $75? I honestly don't remember. If built it was going to come in under $100 I do remember for sure. I have not had good luck with vintage saw tooth setters local to me, but we have pretty extreme humidity swings up here and stuff stored in unheated sheds does rust in just a few years, even if well oiled put away.

I get regular emails from Lee Valley having created an account, but I haven't noticed an email with "new tool" in the subject line.

Good luck.

There are a number of manufacturers with availability from several retailers. Use Google.

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/...e-saw-set.aspx
    Last edited by Rob Luter; 10-03-2021 at 10:42 AM.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Hi,

I have a prototype on my desk…still waiting to pull the trigger on it. We still have a significant backlog of production, so tough to slot in new product until additional capacity comes online. Over the past few months we have ordered/installed 7 CNC machines, and are ramping up capacity. The real barrier is still a labor shortage….we just can’t hire enough.

Automation is certainly an avenue are pursuing….but that is not a short term solution.

Cheers,

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi,

I have a prototype on my desk…still waiting to pull the trigger on it. We still have a significant backlog of production, so tough to slot in new product until additional capacity comes online. Over the past few months we have ordered/installed 7 CNC machines, and are ramping up capacity. The real barrier is still a labor shortage….we just can’t hire enough.

Automation is certainly an avenue are pursuing….but that is not a short term solution.

Cheers,

Rob

You make it, I'll buy it. I'm assuming the production bottleneck is why the custom planes are out of stock until February?

Until Rob starts production on his bound to be excellent saw set, you can take a look at vintage sets.

One popular one is the Stanley 42x. There are several listed on eBay. You can occasionally find them in antique stores that carry tools. Sometimes you can pick one up for $5.00 (like I did) if the dealer doesn't have a clue what it is. Pick one with little rust and it should work just fine.

TonyC

May Rehab, Fine, Coarse.JPG
    I'd have to waddle back down to the shop to check, but I seem to remember these 2 ....
    May Rehab, Pairs.JPG
    One is set up for coarse teeth (rip), the other for Fine teeth...
    May Rehab, Same maker.JPG
    IF they are still down there...would the OP like to have them?
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    May Rehab, Fine, Coarse.JPG
    I'd have to waddle back down to the shop to check, but I seem to remember these 2 ....
    May Rehab, Pairs.JPG
    One is set up for coarse teeth (rip), the other for Fine teeth...
    May Rehab, Same maker.JPG
    IF they are still down there...would the OP like to have them?

That's very kind of you, Steven, and I appreciate it – but if Rob's going to start making saw sets, I'll hold my horses for a bit and buy one of those when they arrive. Cheers.

Blog Entries
    Tyler, until the time Rob Lee can get a saw set into production you might search > set saw teeth screwdriver <. It came back with four hits here at SMC with a line > More results from sawmillcreek.org < that led to hundreds more > https://www.google.com/search?q=set+...&bih=924&dpr=1

Not all of them are relevant, but that is to be expected from Dr. Google.

It should keep you busy until the new saw set comes around.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 10-04-2021 at 10:49 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Tyler, until the time Rob Lee can get a saw set into production you might search > set saw teeth screwdriver <. It came back with four hits here at SMC with a line > More results from sawmillcreek.org < that led to hundreds more > https://www.google.com/search?q=set+...&bih=924&dpr=1

Not all of them are relevant, but that is to be expected from Dr. Google.

It should keep you busy until the new saw set comes around.

jtk

I've used the screw driver method, and it works quite well with a bit of practice and adjustment (sometimes you may need to remove some excess set by clamping the teeth in a vice between two pieces of hardwood).
    I got surprisingly consistent results, anyway.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Dupont View Post
    I've used the screw driver method, and it works quite well with a bit of practice and adjustment (sometimes you may need to remove some excess set by clamping the teeth in a vice between two pieces of hardwood).
    I got surprisingly consistent results, anyway.
    If one has a screwdriver with a flat area or a square shaft it would be easy to clamp it with a Crescent wrench to control how much twist is applied.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)